013

"Where is she?" Sam growled down the phone as he stormed through the long corridors of his home.

"She's at work, why? What's wrong?" Holly asked. There was the slightest tinge of panic in her tone but anyone other than Sam would have easily missed it, even if they were trying to hear it.

"Work?" he frowned, pausing in his step. "Y/N doesn't have a job."

"She does, sir," she replied. Sam was now confused more than ever. You hadn't once mentioned to him that you had a job and it wasn't like it was something that was easily missed from conversation. "It's a new development. This is her first shift."

"And yer didn't think to tell me this?" he scoffed but continued before Holly had a chance to respond, "In future, I'd rather like to know these things."

"Of course, my bad, sir," she apologised.

"Where is she working?" he asked.

"Chroma. On Blandford Square," she informed him.

"What the fuck is she doing working oot there for?" he hissed, mostly to himself.

"She finishes at nine, sir," she continued, ignoring his self-rant to satisfy the curiosity he didn't voice but she knew he had. "And I'm guessing she's planning on taking the metro."

"Over my dead body," he growled. "Don't let her oot of your sight."

"Of course," she agreed before ending the call.

Sam looked down at his phone to check the time. Half past eight. Thirty minutes before your shift ended. No wonder you weren't answering his calls.

"Sam," Drew called from the other end of the corridor but the man in question just walked straight past him.

"I'm gan oot," he announced.

"But the meeting's in like half an hour," he frowned, backtracking to follow his boss to the garage.

"Have Dean take it, run any decisions past me, I'll be back around ten," he instructed, taking the keys to his Maserati and weaving between the fleet of vehicles to it. "Don't wait up."

"Sam, ever since yer met this lass, your head's been in the clouds," Drew sighed, watching him from the doorway with his arms folded across his chest. He looked like a stern parent scolding his child for misbehaving but since the moment he met you, Sam had been acting like a little boy.

Sam stopped as he opened the car door and turned to his friend with a malicious glare, letting out a scoff, "And what about you and Margot?"

"That's different," he told him.

"Why?" he hissed. "Why is it different?!"

"Because Maggie knows what we do!" he snapped. "She is part of this, she understands that I can't just take time as and when I please to satisfy her!"

"The difference is I run things around here," he spat. "I pay yous to do your jobs, so fuckin' do 'em! Are we clear?"

"Yes, sir," he replied through gritted teeth, biting down a snide remark.

"Good," he grumbled, sliding into the passenger seat and turning the engine on. He paid no mind to his friend and colleague as he pulled out of the garage, the roller door letting him out onto the drive.

What you weren't expecting during the last fifteen minutes of your first shift was for Sam to show up, entirely unannounced. You were caught by surprise as he filtered in through the main entrance, appearing as though he was interested in the art hung on the walls. Your cheeks warmed as you recalled the last time you saw him, the memory a hazy fog from the alcohol you had consumed at the time but it wasn't something that was easily forgotten.