Chapter 4: Trying to Walk Again

Your leg was, surprisingly, the first thing to heal. Because the knife was small, and was thrown, the jab wasn't as deep as it felt. So today, when Macaque changed the bandage, he thought it looked healed enough to try walking.

You were nervous, though. With one arm in a cast and the other in the hand in a bandage, if you fell, you couldn't affectively catch yourself. If you fell, you could be injured worse than you already were.

You sat on the edge of the bed, building up the courage to try. But what if- No! Enough! You're going to try! And if you fall, Macaque will catch you! If not with himself, then with his shadow power!

You took a deep breath. "Remember, I'm here if you think you need it." Macaque spoke. You slowly stood up, leaning mostly on the uninjured leg. Then you started to even your weight. Your leg felt sore, but it didn't hurt.

One small step. Then another. Then another. You were taking small steps, but you were walking! You decided to try a bigger step. Nope! You started to fall forward, having lost your balance.

"Got you." You heard Macaque say. He help you stand up again. "Maybe you should stick to small steps until you improve your balance." Macaque said. You nodded, semi-afraid to speak because of the near fall.

He helped you back to the bed and you sat down. "Hey, you good?" He asked sitting down beside you. "Did that scare you?" He asked, concerned.

You didn't speak. That near fall not only scared you because of your injuries, but also gave you a flash back to the fight. When your used-to-be friend was towering over you, knife in hand, ready to- end you.

"Hey." A hand wiped away a tear on your cheek. You were crying? "It's okay. I won't let anyone, or anything, hurt you." Macaque spoke softly. You felt more tears fall down your face. A sob escaped.

Suddenly, you were crying, hard, and hugging the monkey next to you. He, in return, patted your back, awkwardly.

Hugs were kind of an awkward thing for him. The only times he got a hug was mostly MK giving him a, would-be, bone crushing hug. Or, a long time ago, a hug from his brother, after a long time apart.

After a long moment, your tears ran dry. You sat up, and struggled to wipe away any remaining tears. "Do you want to try again? I'll stand beside you and help you with bigger steps if you'd like." Macaque offered.

You took a deep breath, and nodded. He stood up. Then you stood up. You started taking small steps again, this time, with Macaque walking beside you. "Okay, I going to try." You warned him.

He wrapped his tail around your waist, to help you keep your balance, as you took a larger step. You took a five larger steps around the room. "Kay. We'll continue practicing your balance tomorrow. For now, you should rest." Macaque said.

You sat down on the bed, at his request. He started to leave the room. "Wait!" He paused and turned to you. It took you a second to realize you spoke that word.

"Th- thank you." You told him. "For everything." You smiled. He stared at you, then gave a small smile. "No problem, kiddo." He said. He left the room.

You sat there quietly, listening to what little you could hear of his play.

"The hero and the warrior were like the sun and the moon. Their light a protective glow shining upon the world! Together, there was nothing that could stop the two of them; either in the Celestial Realm or on Earth. As time went on, the hero attained power beyond comprehension! As the hero's light grew, so too did his shadow, and soon, the warrior cast in that shadow! In the darkness, the warrior was forgotten by the hero."

You were surprised with how easily you could hear it this time. But that was mostly because you knew the play word for word. It was your favorite episode, after all. (If it isn't, sorry, but it'll have to be for the story to work.)

The quiet gave you plenty of time to think, though. You leaned backwards slowly, until your body rested on the bed. You sighed, and started to search for possible answers to your questions.

How did you get here? However it was, you weren't the only one that did. Macaque saved you from them. So what happened? Something, obviously. Just don't know what. When did it happen? Again, it was obviously that day. What time specifically, though, was a mystery.

Okay, maybe you should think of questions you can find answers to easier. Like, which season are you in? Yeah, there we go. It would have to be season one or season four. Season two and three, Macaque wasn't on great terms with MK.

And honestly, you hoped it was four. You didn't want to deal with the creepy demons to come, if it was season one. You'd much rather face the unknown than the known.

Though, perhaps you should have finished season four for your birthday, instead. The last episode you saw was when Azure Lion defeated the Jade Emperor. Not a fun note to end on.

You closed your eyes, thinking. A loud clang sounded from outside the door. You bolted up right, startled by the noise! And hiss at the sudden pain in your left arm from the motion.

You listen for any noise that may indicate what happened. But it was quiet. Almost too quiet. It was really getting on your nerves. What happened outside of your room? Was Macaque okay?! Did he need help?!

You were really worried, so you decided to check and see. You took a deep breath and stood. You then slowly walked to the door. You reached for the handle, then realized you couldn't open the door. Your right hand couldn't grip the door with the bandage on it. And your left hand couldn't move around without causing pain to the arm!

You decided to lean your ear against the door, and listen for anything! What you heard though, shocked you!

(1053 words!)