Chapter 18: Missing Him

It took a lot of prodding to get you to answer the Monkey Kings questions but, eventually, he broke you down and got you to explain. When you finished, Wukong looked at you with a solemn expression on his face. You wiped away any stray tears, then stared at the floor.

"I'm- sorry. I think-, I can see why- you care for him-, though." Wukong surprised you with the apology. "When this mess is over, I'll try- to help you get back to him. If you'd like. And that's "when" this is over, "if" is still a fighting factor for us to deal with." Wukong semi-joked.

You looked up at the golden simian and smiled. "Thanks. I would appreciate that." You answered. Wukong smiled back, then stood up and stretched. "I'm going to meditate, now, and try to recharge. Wake me in the next, I don't know, hundred years!" He spoke.

You chuckled. He glanced at you. "What's so funny?" He asked. "Nothing! Just, an inside joke!" You answered and chuckled. The Monkey King gave you a look, then sat down to do what he said he was going to do. You, then, decided to crawl over to a shaded corner of the car to nap. The shade reminded you of your home in this realm and thus brought you some comfort.

You, then, curled into a small ball, wrapped up in the blanket from earlier, and rested your head on your arms. The room slowly faded as sleep slowly overcame you. Once you were asleep, Wukong cocked his head towards you and saw the shadow behind you move just a little. He turned away mostly, and watched as your shady spot grew some arms and wrapped themselves around you carefully.

Sun Wukong didn't know what to think or do about that, so he decided to ignore it and continue meditating. You, subconsciously, cuddled into it. You missed Macaque, everyone could tell that much, but only you really knew how much.

You woke up with a start, when the car suddenly stopped. It turns out that the cars engine overheated. Great. That means you now know what episode you're in. It's the one with the goldfish demon. Sure enough, you heard Tang exclaim some bad water pun and everyone, except Sandy, Mo, and you, rushing towards it.

"If they were smart, they would dip their hands in the water then rub the moisture on their hands in their hair. It would help them cool off better and faster." You mumbled once out side of the TEA. "I think that only works for some people." Sandy commented. You stared at the blue giant, shocked that he heard/listened to your mumbling.

"Probably, but it's worked for me." You explained. "Oh! I'll be right back." Sandy hopped back into the TEA to grab something of use. You just stood by and watched as Sandy came back out with tools and started to work on the engine. It was cool and strange to watch the giant being so careful as he worked, but, when he finished, MK nearly knocked Sandy down with the giant rocket thruster they finally received.

Sandy then attached it to the vehicle, and everyone was on the road again. With the sun setting in the west, the car working, AC, and the thrusters boost, you could now travel further faster and in comfort. You sighed, enjoying the cold air in the van while the others did their things, wether it was explaining something or napping or driving.

A thought popped in your head. The next episode had Macaque! You might see him again! You smiled. You couldn't wait for the next episode! "What's with the sudden smile?" A certain gold simian asked you. Your smile fell. "I don't think that's any of your business." You answered.

Wukong stared at you for a moment with a small frown, then asked "Does it have to do with Macaque?" "I'm- not going to answer that." You stated. The golden simian sighed, then sat down beside you and pulled you over to lean on him. "What are you doing?!" You asked, shocked by the sudden gesture. "I'm guessing what Macaque would have done and trying to comfort you, as well as gain some trust." He answered.

"But this is a one time thing! And it'll be a long trip if we don't at least get along on some way." He added. You sighed, knowing the last part was true. "Fine. But as you said ' it's a one time thing '. And if I'm asked why I smell like you- I'll tell Macaque." You agreed. The Monkey King just hummed, being half asleep now.

You just laid there awake as everyone else fell asleep for the night. You really ought to be careful when you nap, so as to not become nocturnal. Because that, would mess up a lot of things for you, and, maybe, the others.

(823 words, and don't worry. You'll meet Macaque again!)