Chapter 14: Shadows and the Clock

You slowly snuck backstage to watch the show. It was Monday, and Macaque had a play again.

He said today was going to be slightly different, and you wanted to know what he meant.

You watched as the curtains opened and he started his play.

"Welcome viewers, to a shadow play . The likes of which have never been seen!" He started. A feeling of déjà vu stirred in your gut.

Have you seen this before?

"It follows the tragic tale of a legendary warrior, and how those who bring light into this world, inevitably, bring darkness to the ones they hold dear!" Macaque continued.

You heard someone whisper loudly about snacks and glanced at the audience as the theaters doors slammed shut.

Your jaw fell agape. The audience consisted of Pigsy, Tang, and Mei!

That only meant one thing, you are now in the episode "Shadow Play".

"Like the light, heroes bring warmth, hope, friendship." Macaque made his lantern grow brighter than you thought possible. "But they also give life to the darkness!"

You looked at the spot were the three once were, but they were there no more. Instead, three colorful orbs were floating inside the mysterious lantern.

When MK returned, Macaque continued his tale. You would have listened as much as MK was, but you had a question weighing on your mind. Should you warn Macaque?

When the show finished, and Macaque came backstage, you immediately gave him a tight hug. "Woah! Looks like someone missed me!" The dark simian joked.

You didn't respond to it. You just stood there hugging him, trying to hold back tears. "Hey, is everything okay?" He asked gently.

The simple question released your tears. He soothingly rubbed your back as you tightly clung to him and you quietly cried.

"Macaque, I- I'm sorry." You mumbled once you stopped. He gave a soft smile, lifted your head up, and kissed you on the cheek.

It took you a moment to processes what happened. "Did you just... kiss me?" You whispered.

"Yeah~. So~ I may have been a little more awake than I was pretending to be that day." He confessed, slightly embarrassed.

It took you a moment to processes what he said. "What! You were pretending to be tired!" You exclaimed, while flushing red in embarrassment and shock.

The dark simian chuckled. "Hey! If I wasn't awake, I wouldn't have heard you! Then I wouldn't have the courage to say that... well... I really like you too." He spoke.

You froze. Did you hear that right? "Really?" You whispered. He chuckled again and shook his head. "Would this answer your question?" He pulled you closer and kissed you gently on the lips.

When he pulled away, your eyes widened in surprise. You lifted your hand and touched the places he kissed you. A smile slowly found its way on to your face.

You looked at Macaque, then swiftly clung to him with a hug and buried your face in his chest. Macaque, startled at first, smiled and hugged you too.

The two of you stood there in silence, enjoying each other's love and presence for a while. Until, you remembered what you wanted to tell him.

"Macaque, I- I need to tell you something." You muttered quietly. "What is it Sugarplum?" He responded. You giggled, "Okay, one: what is with the nickname? Sugarplum? And two:..." You trailed off.

A part of you hoped that if you never spoke it, it wouldn't happen, but... you knew that wasn't true. You had to warn him. Right?

But, what if something happens? What if something changes? Do you want to risk losing him?