Chapter 6: Your Turn

You walked around his dojo taking in all the details. It wasn't much different from the series, but a cartoon can only give so much detail. Not to mention the smell. A cartoon can't do smells. The cartoon looked like the room would smell clean and slightly damp. It did smell clean, but also had a hint of plum, maybe some cherries or mangos? Both?

You saw a third door. If one went to your room and another was an exit, the third must lead to the stage. You slowly opened the door. A long empty hallway lay before you. You hesitated then started down the hall. You couldn't help but be curious. After all, you're in a show you've seen! Who wouldn't want to explore their surroundings!

Walking down the hall, you saw a door with a star on it on your left. This must be his room. Time to test fanfictions! You opened the door and, sure enough, it was his room. He wasn't there, luckily, but you saw his shadow play cloak and just had to try it on.

Once the cloak was on, you started messing around. You pretended to be a mysterious villain, a dark hero (*cough* Batman *cough*), and even Macaque. You started to mess around and quote random parts of his play, then slowly the random parts of the episode "Shadow Play".

Once you finished, a small, quiet clapping could be heard behind you. You spun around. There was Macaque, with a smirk on his face. "Not bad kid. Your acting could use a little work, though." Macaque commented. Your face went red in embarrassment.

"I- Sorry!- I- Uh-" you stumbled for an apology, and started to take off the cloak. Your face suddenly cringed in pain, luckily out of his site. You're slipping the cloak off from over head and lifting your injured right arm upward, to help in the process, sent a sharp pain to your shoulder.

You hoped he would think your sudden silence was from embarrassment, and not pain. You didn't want to be embarrassed anymore than you already were. You carefully took it off the rest of the way and handed it to him. He smirked at you as you handed him his cloak, then frowned.

"Are you okay? You're grabbing your arm the way you do when it hurts." Macaque stated. He was scarily observant. You gave a small smile. "Never better. Actually, scratch that, I was having fun when you interrupted me!" You tried to change the topic.

"Well, I can't perform without my cloak. And I wouldn't want my, apparently, biggest fan to miss it this time." Macaque smirked again. You blinked. It took you a moment to understand what he said. Then you gasped. "You're inviting me to come watch your performance?!" You asked.

"Only if you answer my question truthfully." He placed a condition, then his face became serious. "How's your arm?" He pin-pointed. You flinched, accidentally revealing the truth. "It's- it's fine. Just... moved it wrong." You semi-lied. He sighed.

"For telling some of the truth, I won't send you to your room." He stated. You sighed, releasing a breath you didn't know you were holding. "But, for telling a little lie too... You seem to know the story well, so it's your turn to put on the play." He finished.

Your jaw went slack. Did he just say you were going to preform?! You can't do that! Not in front of a crowd!! You hated preforming in front of strangers!! Sure, you could do school plays, but that was different!! You knew everyone at your school, then, and all the parents too! It was a small school.

"Oh, no no no no no!" You said. "Oh, yes yes yes yes yes yes." Macaque mimicked. "Besides, I have a few errands to run, you don't know the streets or people like I do, and you half lied, so this is your penalty." He stated. You swallowed hard. "Besides, it's just one messily show! Maybe two. But after what I saw, you'll do great." Macaque encouraged.

"Plus, if it helps, just imagine that know one is there!" He added. "Now, I got to go. You'll do great! See ya later!" Macaque vanished through a shadow portal. You stared at the spot for a moment then sighed. You carefully put on the cloak and continued down the hall, towards the stage.

When you reached backstage, you saw the lantern he uses for his shows and grabbed it. Hopefully imagining you're Macaque will help calm you? Maybe? Please! You took a deep breath before walking onto the stage, hood up, lantern ready, story in mind. You looked up. Three people were there, staring at you, expecting something from you, expecting something great! Something you could never do!

A shadow play! Something you couldn't preform without proper materials! And you had nothing! Macaque preformed with his shadow powers! You didn't have shadow powers! All the flaws and things that could go wrong ran through your head. You couldn't do this.

(846 words)