8: Sebastian Sallow - Magic Works

Note: the reader IS the Hogwarts Legacy mc

House: Hufflepuff

 My group of friends and I left Gladrags with large bags in our hands and bright smiles on our faces. We had just spent the past hour shopping for dresses for the Yule Ball on Christmas Eve, as the Triwizard Tournament was being held at Hogwarts. It was an event that happened once every twenty five years, and we felt lucky to be at Hogwarts during its period. Most of my friends had dates already but I didn't, simply because there was one person I wanted to go with and his name was Sebastian Sallow. We had grown close after the events involving his sister and his uncle, him having called me a true friend. The words hurt a little as I wanted to be something more, and Natty was sure he would ask but I wasn't so sure as the ball was only two weeks away.

The girls and I headed back to school, dropping our dresses off in our dorm rooms before heading to the Great Hall for dinner. The school had been decorated for Christmas - trees lines the halls, there were garlands dangling across archways and mistletoe hung over random doorways throughout the castle. It was quite romantic and atmospheric, and one of my favourite times of the year in Hogwarts.

On our way to the Great Hall I spotted Sebastian at the end of the corridor looking somewhat bashful. I glanced at Poppy who shrugged her shoulders, also confused at his behaviour. As we walked closer however my heart sank as I saw him outstretch his hand towards one of the beautiful girls from Beauxbatons Academy dressed in their elegant lilac uniforms that clung to their bodies. She had shiny brown hair, a small button nose and long dark eyelashes protruding from her sparkling eyes. She was undeniably beautiful and she radiated elegance, both of these factors making Sebastian swoon as Poppy and I overheard him ask the Beauxbatons girl to the Yule Ball.

Poppy quickly glanced at me but my eyes were solely on the boy I had feelings for ask out another girl - and not just any other girl, but one of the French girls from the exotic school. Neither of them had noticed me and I felt a little sick when she leant in and kissed Sebastian on the cheek before skipping away excitedly, leaving him in a daze.

I turned on my heel and walked the other way, suddenly not in the mood for food in the Great Hall. Poppy skipped to keep up with me but a voice caught us both by surprise. "(y/n)!" Sebastian called out and we turned awkwardly to see him approaching us. "How was dress shopping?"

"Fine thanks Sebastian," I said, trying to hide the hurt town in my voice.

"I can't wait to see your dress. You'll never guess what! I just managed to bag myself a date," he tucked his thumbs under his robe collar and puffed out his chest proudly. "A girl called Camille from Beauxbatons."

"I'm very happy for you," I said and he furrowed his eyebrows.

"Really? That's it? No teasing? Are you okay (y/n)?" He asked and I took a step back.

"I'm just a little tired. I'm going to head back to my common room, goodnight Sebastian. See you later Poppy," I bade my friends farewell before heading towards the moving staircases, heading downwards, reaching the kitchens and finally the common room where I stayed, hoping to get over these feelings I had for my friend before the ball came so I didn't have to deal with the pain of watching him dance with another more attractive girl.

- Timeskip -

Poppy and I walked arm in arm towards the hall outside the Great Hall where all the students attending the ball were lingering. Poppy wore an expected dress; it was emerald green and silk, tight around the bodice with an intricate design on the back I spent ages lacing up. The skirt flared out a little from the waist down but it's elegance was striking, and it suited her perfectly. My dress on the other hand was black and had a velvet corset, just as tight. My skirt also flared from the hips downwards, and was intricately decorated with stitches of flowers and flora. I also had a matching hairpiece decorating my head.