CHAPTER 21

Leopard wasn't moving. Fire blazed all around them and a few small spikes scratched Dusk's scales. He didn't know where they came from, but was more worried about getting everyone away. Seawings flew away in every direction and he could see that some of them... Some of them weren't going to make it. That thought hit him hard— he hated thinking about death. And watching others die in front of him... That was even worse.

"Leopard, we have to run!" Firestorm cried to Leopard desperately as the others fled behind them, "Come on, we won't make it out!"

Firestorm reached to grab her talon but pulled away before doing so.

Her firescales, Dusk thought.

"Leopard, if you don't move right now, I'm going to have to do something I really don't want to have to do!", she looked more and more worried.

The others continued to escape, but Dusk stayed with the two. Leopard was still paralyzed in shock, her scales as light as ever. He had never seen a dragon look this way before, the amount of terror in her bright green eyes was more than he had ever seen, in anyone, anything. The fire threatened to get closer and Dusk felt his scales warm up more than they were supposed to.

"I'm sorry," Firestorm said sorrily, but she still sounded determined to save Leopard. Dusk watched as the firescales inhaled before grabbing Leopard's gloved talons and swiftly pulling her out of the path of the fire. The rainwing cried out in a horrible agony, tumbling over her singed talons and falling in front of the two other dragons.

"I'm sorry," Firestorm repeated again, almost choking on her words. If she could cry, she definitely looked like she would have.

Leopard seemed to have passed out and Dusk felt her talons. The gloves seemed to have protected them slightly, but he then noticed the same thing that Firestorm did, in the exact same moment— Leopard probably wouldn't be able to use her front talons ever again. Burns that bad— and the amount of time that Firestorm's scales were touching hers— it would be hard for her talons to recover fully, if even at all.

"I'm sorry," Firestorm looked down, "I'm so sorry."