The Dawn Spreader

Jonas Abernathy was over the sink cleaning the various tools he had used. There were several items on the table near him. One of them was a stethoscope, blood pressure meter and a bottle of pills. 

"Well, how is the patient, doc?" said Timone.

The doctor turned and looked at the brown-haired girl. Her hair was twisted in little locks on both sides of her face. She looked pale and tiny sweat beads had fostered on her head. A breeze blew into the shop that rattled the window shades. Liv's eyes awoke but slowly. "Our little girl is durn gone make it." He smiled and checked the monitor. "Improved breathing. The poison seems to be almost out of her system. It took a mighty cure to wallop that snake."

Timone went over to Liv and grabbed her hand and gave her a firm shake. Liv could tell he was nervous about it. But she told him, "Don't worry, Tim. I'm in good hands." With that, he smiled. He gave her a not as sure look. He went over and took something out of a box that was sitting next to the counter. It was her necklace, the one that her mother left her. The necklace had been with her, her entire life. It was a treasured heirloom that sat in her stepmother's bedroom cabinets. Liv put it on when she was having a bad day and it never her left side since.

Her stepmother, a stickler for the rules of royal society wasn't able to take the necklace from her. Neither could her father get her free of it when he would take her to Fenti games. It was attached to her during many a extravagant dinner. Liv felt a connection to it. But never did it seem more important or needed than it was at that moment. It had a opalescent glow to it. And it was changing colors from verdant green to an ominous gray back to a light green.

"My necklace! The lock on it had broken in the fight and had fallen." "I grabbed it from the field in the valley and took it with me." Tim remarked. Then Liv and Timone noticed the changing colors. And soon as she touched it, she felt a huge overwhelming emotion. Her mind flashed across the vast cities of Alynthia and the humans that lived there. She felt pain. Their pain. It struck her suddenly. And she could see what the cause was. There was fire. Explosions. Burned houses. Orc/elf armed soldiers marching in the streets of Ashview, Denbrook and New Manteau. The soldiers forbidding anyone from standing in their way, they were either knocked down or killed.

King Leonidas's men stridently rode into battle with their swords and armored corsets. Their strong horses galloping through the cobblestone streets and then were almost trampled by the towering orc warriors. She saw it, the chaos, the citizens' running and hiding in fear. The King's men with bloodied faces, with their swords in their legs, arms or any place that was vulnerable. And this was being done by orc-elf hybrids dishonoring their elven code. Their sacred code of honor with any fight. If they are not upfront there is no honor.

Overwhelmed and hesitant, Olivia's usual bravado was replaced by a gnawing fear that threatened to consume her. She realized that her family and friends could be in grave danger. This weighed heavily on her mind, as it made each breath feel like a thousand pounds pressing down on her chest. Her heart began to pound. She felt uneasy and knew she had to do something. She felt a steel reserve to get up off the table. As she did Olivia saw someone that she hadn't expected to see. It was a cat. It was purring, making a repetitive throaty sound and going back and forth near the shop owner's legs. "Oh...A nice kitty. My wife used to like kitty cats." said Dr. Abernathy.

But Liv recognized that particular cat. It was the same black and white cat that she saw leaving the tournament in Denbrook, and entering the shop in Ashview during that rogue elf attack.

The cat purred and went over to her. "...You nosy little feline. You are endlessly determined to cause me nothing but trouble." The cat jumped up on the table.

"I don't know why I put up with you."

The cat stared at her as she scratched it on head and ears. "I save you from these disastrous circumstances you constantly find yourself in."