eye for an eye

this is abt Sunny btw and its pretty platonic (most of the stuff in this book is platonic so yk also this takes place in the mid 90s)

It was a chilly November night. The stars twinkled brightly as the moon shone its white light directly at the pond in front of you. As if on purpose, the telephone booth a few metres away was looking more noticeable than usual.

"I see you still use that walkman that Basil gave you a few years ago"

"Yeah, I'd have to say its my most prized possession at the moment"

Currently it was 7:30 and you and Sunny were swinging while talking and listening to music on your bright yellow walkman that had little flowers scattered all around. Basil had given you that walkman for your birthday 4 years ago and you still cherish it as if it were gold. Mari was known for giving great gift ideas, and since you loved to listen to music basil thought it would be an amazing gift.

"Love Fool" started to play from the small device and you got super excited. This was your favourite song yet, and Sunny knew. He knew everything about you. Your favourite color, favourite day of the week, place to go when you were upset, the list was endless. Sunny didn't know nor did he care if you also knew everything about him.

Turning away from Sunny you face the lake and hum the tune of the song. The moonlight bounced off the pond and onto Sunnys face, highlighting his right eye in a beautiful way. He looked angelic almost.

Suddenly Sunny jumped up and took the walkman that was laying on the floor playing your favourite song. He met your eyes and sprinted off with your walkman, with the music still playing.

"Sunny what are you doing with my walkman?!"

Sunny turned around and gave u a cheeky smile, ultimately turning back and running. You jump off the swing in an instant and ran after him. Sunny ran around the pond for a good few minutes without running out of breath, even though he didn't do any sports and stayed inside a lot he was a pretty good runner. Before you could warn him, Sunny ran head first into a tree. The worst part? A branch was sticking out of the tree exactly where his face landed.

"SUNNY ARE YOU ALRIGHT?"

You ran up to him as his body was kneeling on the floor holding his eye. Slowly starting to panic, you kneel beside him and take his hand off his eye. Sunny's sclera was dark red with blood and his iris was shaking from side to side. Blood dripped down his cheek and into his hand that you were holding. His mouth was wide open in shock, staring at you as if begging you to say something. But you couldn't, not when he looked like this. Not knowing what to do, you just placed Sunny's hand back on his eye and hugged him.

Just barely pushing you away, he stumbled back and fell. To add salt to the wound, when he fell his hand slipped and pressed even further into his eye causing him to scream. Leaving Sunny screaming, you ran to the telephone booth and dialled 112.

"Hello 112, what is your emergency?" A monotone voice said on the other side of the line.

Barely being able to speak, you mustered out a hushed call for help. "My friend had a branch stabbed into his eye and he's bleeding, please come immediately!"

"Alright, please calm down. We will send help immediately but we need to know where you are first of all"

"I'm in Faraway Park beside the pond, please help my friend"

"The ambulance will be there in about 4 minutes. Take a breath, stay on call and explain what happened"

"Me and my friend were running around and he fell face first into a tree with a branch sticking out of it. His eye got stabbed and is severely bleeding, he tried to put his hand over the injury to help it somehow and he--"