A broken key - Han

It was 3 a.m. when you finally got home. You stayed longer at the party than you intended, but you had fun. It felt nice to forget about your stressful job for a while.

You took the keys out of your bag to open your door. "Crack" Suddenly, your key broke off while in the keyhole. You looked at the broken key in your hand in disbelief.

This did not just happen?

You cursed under your breath.

What should I do now? The spare key won't help if the lock is blocked by the piece of the key that broke off.

You took out your phone and called your best friend, but the call went straight to voicemail, meaning that their phone was already switched off.

I can't even call the lock and key service at 3 a.m. you thought to yourself.

The only two options you could think of were: either sleep outside your apartment door and wait until either your friend or the lock and key service was reachable in a few hours, or you could try to ask your neighbor for help.

But he is surely sleeping, and what if he gets mad at me for waking him up? And plus, I don't even know him. We never really talked. But it would still be better than sleeping on a cold floor.

Your thoughts were racing. You always tried to listen to your gut feelings, and somehow it was telling you clearly to try and ring your neighbor's doorbell. You got closer to his door and looked at the bell. Han Jisung was written above it. You took a deep breath and rang the bell. You waited, but nothing happened. You rang the bell again. Still nothing.

I'm going to try one last time.

You rang the bell, and this time you heard steps coming towards the door. You braced yourself for an angry man opening the door, but instead you were met with a sleepy and confused one rubbing his eyes.

"Err, I'm so sorry for waking you up in the middle of the night! But my key broke, and now I can't get into my apartment. And my friend switched off their phone...and I can't even call a lock and key service." You started to ramble as you tried to explain to him why you had to wake him up.

The man just looked at you, not seeming to understand anything you were saying. He then raised his hands to stop your rambling.

"Wait, I didn't quite understand. You can't get into your apartment because your key broke?" he asked.

You nodded and showed him the piece of your key in your hand. He scratched the back of his head.

"Okay, maybe I can try to get it out. Let me grab my toolbox," he said, going back into his apartment.

After a few moments, he came back.

"Thank you, and sorry again for waking you up. But I didn't know what else to do."

You apologized again.

"Don't worry about it. I will try my best to get the key out of the lock. Do you have a spare key somewhere?" He smiled at you.

You nodded your head.

"Oh, I'm Jisung, by the way. I think I never introduced myself to you," he bowed.

"I'm y/n," you bowed as well.

He smiled at you before he started to work on the lock. You watched him, not really knowing what else to do or what to say. You bit your lip.

This is a little awkward.

"So, y/n, how long have you been living here?" Jisung broke the silence.

"Almost two years now. How about you?"

"Almost two years? I thought you moved in like last year!" Jisung looked at you with a shocked expression.

You shook your head.

"Wow. Then it was about time that I introduced myself to you. So it was a good thing that your key broke in half and you had to ring at my door at 3 a.m. Otherwise, we would have been neighbors for another year without knowing each other," he said with a grin on his face.

You chuckled. "That would have been unforgivable," you said along with his humor.

He laughed before turning his attention back to getting the piece of your key out of the lock.
Suddenly, you heard the sound of metal hitting the ground. Jisung picked up the key and showed it to you.

"Got it!"

"Really? Wow, thank you so much, Jisung!" You exclaimed happily.

You excitedly reached for your spare key that you had hidden in the vase next to your door.

I have to think about a different place to hide it now.

You opened your door and turned back around to Jisung.

"Thank you so much. How much do I owe you?"

He chuckled. "No, you don't owe me anything. It was my pleasure to help."

"No please. I really feel bad for waking you up."

"No, seriously, I don't want any money from you."

"Then how about I invite you for breakfast? If you're free, of course."

Jisung looked at you for a moment.

"You know what? I think I'll take you up on this."

You smiled.

"Great. What time would be good for you?"

He checked the time on his phone.

"It's almost 4 a.m. right now. I'm sure you are very tired. So how about 10 a.m.? So we both get some sleep."

"That would work perfectly for me." You replied.

"Okay then," he said while picking up his toolbox. "I'll see you at 10."

He then placed something in your hand. You looked down to see that it was the piece of the key he managed to get out of the lock.

"This might be your new lucky charm."

He winked at you before turning around to walk back to his apartment. You blushed a little.

"Good night," Jisung said before closing his apartment door.

"Good night, Jisung," you mumbled.

While closing your apartment door you couldn't help but smile.

Sometimes life has quite a funny way of introducing us to new people.