Chapter-14 (Memories)

Tulsipur,

The entire family was having dinner while Samporna was serving them. Anirudh came downstairs and greeted them.

He sat on the chair.

Ksj ignored him. He asked Somnath,

Ksj: How's your medical studies going on?

Som: It's good kaka. I have to go on a medical campaign with our college professors. We'll do free medical check ups there.

Ksj: That's great. Khub age baro or nam roshan kro.

While they were talking Binoy suddenly asked Anirudh,

Binoy: What about you Anirudh? Kya planning hai. Kuch socha hai Zindagi mein kya karna hai?

Before Anirudh could speak ksj said,

Ksj: Yeh hamara or nam kharab na kare woh hi sabse badi meherbani hogi.

Anirudh: Don't worry kaka. I'll never stain our family's reputation again. And Baba I've decided to practice barrystry.

Binoy: That's great. I also think you should now focus on your career first. As for marriage. I'll definitely look for a good family for you.

Anirudh: Nahi baba. Mujhe dusri shaadi nahi karni hai..

Ksj: Dusri? Tisri kaho.. tisri... You know what? It doesn't make any difference.. it's just that I hope you don't think about getting married for the 4th or 5th time...

Anirudh didn't say anything. He didn't tell his family that he and Manorama were never married. He didn't know how they would react to that. Especially, staying in the same room with an unmarried woman.

Even though he and Manorama never crossed any boundaries, but it will still become a stain on her reputation. And a krantikari like her who sacrifices her life for her country doesn't deserve that.

He has already learned his lesson after whatever happened with Bondita. And he is already full of self blame and guilt. So he will never put a woman's reputation at stake again. Anirudh spoke again,

Anirudh: Baba don't talk about my marriage anymore. I'll never marry again unless it's her. I don't want any other woman.

Everyone thought Anirudh was talking about Manorama. But Anirudh was talking about his wife. His only wife..
His Bondita...

After dinner, kaka asked Som to come with him, he has some important business. So they went to Ksj's room.

Som: What happened kaka?

Ksj: Som I need your help. Can you help me send a letter?

Som: Do you want to send it to Bondita?

Ksj: How did you know?

Som: I can see the worry on your face. Kaka do you want to hide it from dada? But why? You know how much he cares for her. After coming out of the prison the first thing he asked was also about her.

Ksj: I know Som. And that's why I don't want to tell him about her. We all can see it, even though he never considered her his wife but he has some weird kind of obsession with her. This kind of obsession can be dangerous. So it's better for everyone that they stay away from each other. And Bondita doesn't want to give him another chance. So let's respect her decision.

Som: I think you are right kaka.. Don't worry I'll support you guys. I won't tell dada about Bondita. You write the letter and give it me. I'll send it to her. But where is she now?

Ksj: Dehradun.

After dinner Anirudh went to his bedroom. He changed his clothes and after freshing up, he went near the dressing table to comb his hair when he opened the drawer he saw a small white mirror.
He remembered Bondita..

When they left the house and lived in that small house with no money. Bondita used to look into his eyes to see her reflection to apply bindi. Then with his first earning he bought her this mirror she was really happy. Even though their house was small, they didn't have enough food, he couldn't even buy her beautiful clothes but she never complained. She always accompanied him. Always smiled at him sweetly. Her eyes were always filled with admiration for him.

At that time he even thought, maybe living a life like this is not a bad thing. They are poor but happy.

Tears started dripping from his eyes... He held the mirror and said,

Anirudh: I really miss you a lot.. Do you miss me Bondita?

He then started crying remembering her smile, arguments, and mischiefs...

Anirudh was crying his heart out. While on the other hand, Bondita was enjoying snacks in her bedroom with her new sisters ..

Dehradun,

Bondita: Mish.. don't eat all of them.. leave some for me..

Then she grabbed the plate of pakoras.

Misha: Hey! Give it back..

Panchi: Uff yaar.Sshshhh.. you guys stop shouting or else mom will hear us.

Today she girls were doing a horror story night. Bondita, Misha and Panchi sat on the floor in a circle. The entire room was submerged in darkness leaving only one candle in the middle of the circle.

Bondita: Ok.. now it's my turn. I'll tell you a story.

[Story],

Long time ago, a Traveller was traveling through a jungle. He didn't saw any houses near there. After walking for a long time he came across a graveyard. In the day light he wasn't afraid of it. He had to cross the graveyard to reach the main road. While walking he came across a open coffin. He saw an old woman laying inside. She was adorned with a lot of gold jewelries. Greed started to grow in his heart like wild weeds. He started to take of the jewelleries and put them in his bag. The women was wearing a lot of rings in her fingers. The man tried hard but couldn't pull out all of them. A precious ring was stuck in her ring finger. After some thoughts the man took a cruel decision and cut off the finger to get the ring. After packing all the gold he left that place. As he was walking for 2 days but still couldn't reach his destination. The scorching sun made him unable to breathe. There were no Civilization nearby. He was thirsty. He kept on walking as if his life depends on it. Then he suddenly saw a small house surrounded by trees. He went near the house in hope of getting some food and water. He knocked on the door but no one opened it. He did not give up and kept on knocking. Suddenly the door opened. A woman with a beautiful voice asked him to come inside. He went there. He asked her for water and food. The women smiled and told him to sit down she will serve him in a while. After a while she came with the food and asked him to eat. As he was starving for 3 days he did not refuse her and started eating. Suddenly he choked on the food and started looking for water. The woman handed him the glass. While taking the glass he saw some hideous marks on her hand and a finger was missing. After drinking the water the man asked with concern,
"Who did this to you?"

Bondita stopped speaking. Misha and Panchi who were attentively listening her story saw her take the candle from the middle and bring it near her face while smiling.

Misha: wha- what happened next? Who cut her finger?

Bondita placed the candle between her and Misha and shouted in her ear. While blowing out the candle.

Bondita: It's you!!!

Misha and Panchi screamed because of the sudden darkness and the haunting atmosphere.

Hearing such exclamation Bondita tried to stop them. But they didn't stop. Misha tried to rush out of the room but she bumped into Madhu.

After turning on the lights. Madhu scolded them for a while. Even Bondita couldn't escape. Then they went back to there room to sleep.