An Identity

Painting the skies with warm hues of gold and amber, the afternoon sun cast shadows that stretched across the grounds of the city. This was the time when the crowds were reduced and the busy city was slowly dying down for the night.

This was also the time Sayako would be in Ariyoshi's prepping the cafe to shift into its nighttime alter ego of booze and neon lights with the radio playing in the background.

She caught a glimpse of the sign above the store as she was putting away the boards.

'Ariyoshi's' was lit with an LED light with an addition of small light bulbs around the rectangular frame giving the illusion of moving lights highlighting every aspect of the sign.

Perhaps a little too bright.

Murakami would always insist on using the brightest of lights for Ariyoshi's- yes even in the bathrooms - there were barely any dark corners.

Sayako goes behind the counter picking up a box of newly bought bottles of alcohol. The radio then suddenly grew quiet followed by an announcement.

"Protestors in Japan are against the newly stated Vigilante law."

She stops midway.

"From bustling city centers to peaceful suburban neighborhoods, thousands of concerned citizens have joined forces to voice their opposition to the Vigilante Law.

Protestors have been tirelessly advocating for a repeal of the law, insisting that it violates their right to protect their communities when official law enforcement falls short. They demand that lawmakers listen to their concerns and work toward a more balanced approach to vigilante activity.

The Vigilante Law, was designed to regulate and restrict the activities of vigilantes and later to arrest without the need of a court trial. This has sparked widespread outrage due to its perceived infringement on personal freedoms. Critics argue that it undermines the spirit of citizen heroism, which has played a significant role in ensuring public safety."

"Wow, who knew Vigilantism would gain so much audience."

Sayako didn't know where she had emerged from but Murakami was able to pick up on the breaking news. She leaned at the side of the counter just at the corner with an extra listening ear.

The teen turned off the radio before moving to adjust the chairs. "Oh yeah? Didn't Nyx grab attention as well?" 

"Nope." Plain and simple answer with no further explanation. Instead, the elder hero opened her book and went back to her usual reading time.

Sayako scoffed lightly at the woman before moving to clean another table. Despite the abrupt end of the conversation, the quietness had allowed her to delve into her thoughts.

Before the time of heroes, vigilantes were the hottest talk of the town mostly for the wrong reasons. After the opening of the Commission and Hero agencies, Heroes became more liked as they had actual licenses and permissions to do so. People had every reason to support them more.