Chapter 23: So Close

"My guinea pig is dead!" The now nine-year-old Tang Xuan cried. The window was broken, and the cage was completely shattered, making a huge mess.

"Oh dear, a bird or something must of came in." His mother said, hugging the small boy.

"This damage is bad..." His father sighed, annoyed.

Tang Yun watched, silently stuffing his hands in his pockets. He would have felt bad for his brother if he himself wasn't the reason for the poor thing's demise.

Yes, Yun killed the guinea pig. It would have lived if it didn't take so much of Xuan's precious attention away from him.

Xuan sniffled and wiped his cheeks.

"Why would a bird even come in here?" He sniffled. Yun shrugged.

"Don't cry, Xuan. Your pet is in a better place now." Yun wiped his brother's eyes carefully.

"I-I'm not crying!" Xuan mumbled, sniffling. Then, as if he needed to hide himself, he hugged Yun. Yun in return cradled his brother's sniveling head.

He couldn't help but feel pleased with Xuan turning to him for comfort over the murder of his beloved guinea pig. He smiled satisfactorily as he gave his brother pats on the back.

***

"Hey, Tang Xuan! Meet me behind the gym today after school!" A girl said, smiling brightly.

Xuan and Yun were now fourteen, in their first year of high school. Although the twins looked identical still, Xuan had gotten the idea to put beads in his hair and ribbons in Yun's to differentiate them.

"Of course!" Xuan said brightly. Yun quietly picked at his nails, annoyed. This was again going to be a confession, that which Yun would have to break up as soon as possible.

The bell rang and they went off to their classes. Unfortunately, Yun didn't have the same class as Xuan at this hour, so he couldn't talk to him about why meeting that girl, who he was pretty sure was named Heng Mei, was a terrible idea.

Drifting off to sleep, he suddenly heard something that interested him.

"Have you heard about Heng Mei's secret?"

"No, tell me!"

"She goes on dates with older men to get money off them!"

"What? I thought her dad was super packing."

"He is, but apparently she's so greedy that she'll do any job she gets. Kenny boy told me so."

Yun smirked under his breath. Getting Xuan away from her would be easy, especially since his brother would believe anything he told him.

Soon, the final class of the day came. Yun and Xuan shared that class, it being math, and even sat next to each other.

"Psst, Xuan."

"Shh, Yun, I'm trying to listen."

"It's important."

"Alright, let me copy down these notes first."

Yun sighed but let him. He was the only reason he was passing the stupid class, so he was silent until work time.

"Xuan, I heard a pretty nasty thing about Heng Mei today." Yun whispered.

"That girl that wants to meet me behind the gym?..." Xuan's face darkened

"Yep, apparently she goes on dates with old guys and is super greedy and gets her money from wherever she can."