Chapter 27: The Naïve Child

A/N: This chapter contains referenced attempted suicide. Continue with caution.

Yun remembered the day he became an Esper.

He wished he didn't.

No matter what happened to him, that day was possibly the worst day ever.

No.

"The worst day ever" downplayed it.

It was a foul, vile, disgusting, evil day.

He remembered reading the evil will and thinking it was a cruel joke.

It wasn't.

He wished to forget that day.

But it would always haunt him when he thought it was going to be ok.

"Nothing will ever change unless you do something about it." He told himself a million times in the mirror. "You have to get rid of Xuan, no matter what.

"He hurt me once, he hurt me twice, he hurt me three whole times, never again."

A new variable had come up, though.

The jingling of the music box rang in his ears. A disgusting and horrible song...

...it was perfect.

The song of desperation...

...of control...

...of hope.

He remembered being in Larkspur Detective Agency and sharing his opinion on Yamato, specifically his opinion on the controlling part.

He couldn't help but fantasize himself as Yamato at the time, being able to control anyone he wanted.

He also remembered the stern look Xuan gave him. He had wanted to claw it right off. What right did Xuan have to disagree so heavily? His obsession with freeing Yuuhime clearly went to his head, just like how all his other interests did.

He clicked his pen shut and stared at all the ideas he wrote down. He could think better when he wrote things down.

Staring at all the messages he wrote, he selected only the best and most believable phrases.

Then, finally, after so many weeks, his plan could finally begins its first step.

'Hey, Xuan. I need help'

***

Xuan finally got permission to have all the lights on, but the darkness was nice sometimes. Especially when he was trying to sleep.

He could hardly believe he was back in the hospital. He wished he didn't have to be so accident prone, especially since he used to be just fine. Ever since he met Yamato, things had started to get messier and messier.

His eyes would flutter shut, then loud footsteps from outside would awaken him again. Something was happening outside, but he didn't care. He just wanted sleep.

He heard his phone jingle from the bedside table. Grunting, he reached out for it. He wasn't expecting Yun to be texting him 11 pm on a Monday.

'Hey Xuan, I need help.'

His heart gave way.

'I'm in a situation only you can help me in. I made a mistake and now the Shadow Degree is at my throat. I need your help, to find a place to hide and to find protection.'

He rubbed his eyes to make sure he was reading that right, and lo and behold, he was.

'Can you do that for me?'