𝐢𝐱. whispers and lingering looks.

❝just like thieves, we could only love stolen hearts.❞

¤

painfully dragging her tired body into the darkned shadows of the barn Jesper had found them, Aeya stiffled a groan as the stanger gently pulled her arm from over his shoulder and helped her lean her weight against the wall.

the crows had been stuffed in that cart for the past few hours, and at the sight of a farm far far into the woods and away from any signs of life, they'd settled on it to rest for a few, empty or not.

Kaz had been the first to be let out, followed closely by Inej and Jesper while the dragon rider and her acquaintance stayed back due to her injury. they'd looked through the ground and the main building, and as their search resulted in nothing, they deemed it safe enough.

now, looking down at the three kruge placed in front of her, she sighed. "is this all we have left?" the wraith spoke from her side, broadcasting what went through all of their minds in that moment.

no one seemed to respond. The answer was pretty obvious. they were out of money, they lost the million kruge girl, and their most powerful member was hurt, face pale and still bleeding as she blinked the dizziness away.

Inej was the most alert by it, or that was what showed at least as she nudged the Zemeni boy and walked closer. "Jesper, my bag." she mumbled on her way, fingers grasping the ruined blouse and tugging it to reveal the messy bandage she'd used to keep it together while they traveled.

shooting Aeya a glance, she whispered an apology before pulling at the bloodied cloth and closing her eyes at the whimpers dragged with it. the adhesive part of the gauze had stuck to her side, and as she'd moved far too much and caused the wound to bleed again, it had glued itself to her like a second skin.

Jesper gagged, eyes squinting as he glared at the ground near him while keeping his gaze as far away as he could from the saint and her healer. "mother of saints," he grunted out, sick from the sight alone.

"lay down," Inej instructed, her palm resting against Aeya's lower back as she helped her down onto the haystack piled on the ground, her head tilting to look up at the roof with a groan at the relief of finally being sat.

she could hear Jesper clearing his throat once again, hoping to let his mind wander off, and she almost smiled in amusement if it wasn't for her friend's fingers digging at her sides.

her chest rose and fell unevenly, and she forced it to lay still, lashes fluttering against her cheekbones while she fought the fog wanting to swallow her. her violet eyes met Kaz's blue ones, and she felt the world slow for a second.

his face remained in the same uncaring expression it has always been in, but his eyes told her something far different. he was staring at her, had been ever since Inej moved to her side, but only now did she focus on his studying gaze.

there was anger in it, red, hot, burning anger that begged to be released. maybe it was burning for her, or it simply was there from the years of rage he'd waited to avenge. she couldn't tell.

but once again, as always, there was something else. she hated how much she'd been yearning for it lately. it was longing, as it has been every time their gazes met with no one to interrupt and she knew she held it in hers too, but neither would ever speak of it.

the look she held for him was far different. he knew he despised it far more than she did. she admired him. he'd saved her countless times, but it went deeper than that. she'd stare at him and he'd almost feel as if he'd gifted the sun its fire thousands of years ago just for the moon's eggs to drink of it and for her to hatch them and ride free amongst the stars.