Mother and Daughter

Rhaenyra walks through the Red Keep with a blanket around her shoulders as she looks for her daughter whom she cannot seem to find anywhere. She looked in her chambers to see if she was changing for the dinner Viserys had called for. Rhaenyra was not against the dinner but she wanted to see her daughter alone beforehand.

Finally she finds Aemma with Ser Criston guarding her smiling as he watches Aemma being chased around by Maegor and the twins who are waddling after them as they laugh. Ser Criston's smile vanishes when he sees Rhaenyra who is watching Aemma with a soft smile on her face. The smile is full of love and sadness and suddenly for some reason Ser Criston feels sorry for the Princess he was sure he hated.

She had been away on Dragonstone thinking her daughter did not love her enough to respond to the letters that were hidden away in Ser Otto's desk drawer.

"Princess!" he calls out, and both Princesses stop what they are doing to look at the Knight who is looking at the younger Princess, before he nods to the older Princess who looks back at her daughter.

"Mother?" Maegor pauses looking at his grandmother as he holds onto his mother's dress. "Who is that?"

Aemma does not respond as she pushes Maegor towards Ser Criston who swings him onto his shoulders as Aemma places a twin onto each of his hips with a smile. "Could you take them to the nursery? Their dinner should be served soon"

"Yes Princess" Ser Criston pauses before continuing "Shall I be needed again?"

Aemma shakes her head "I do not think so"

"Very well" Ser Criston bows his head which is a feat considering he has a Targaryen Child on his shoulders who manages to stay in place before he walks down the hallway earning giggles from the children and looks from everyone else who instantly knows what is he doing.

Aemma turns to her mother who is watching her with a smile on her face as she steps forwards and hugs Aemma tightly. Aemma freezes not liking to be touched before relaxing slightly as tears come to her eyes and she hugs her mother back tightly.

"My daughter. My own heart" Rhaenyra mutters into Aemma's hair as she hugs her before pulling back as she cups Aemma's face in her hands "How are you fairing? Do you wish to return to Dragonstone with us? Your brothers would love that"

Aemma smiles at Rhaenyra's rambling before taking her hands in hers "I could not leave my children and some of them are too young to fly or sail even though Grandfather would say different"

Rhaenyra nods unable to hide her disappointment before she brightens again "You could come later then? When they are older?"

Aemma nods "Of course. How are you? How is that babe?"

Rhaenyra smiles as she looks down at her belly running a hand over it "I am sure it is a girl. It is exactly the same as when I carried you in my belly"

Aemma nods "You are glowing, until when you had Jace, Joff or Luke" they both laugh then remembering Rhaenyra's pregnancies with Jace, Luke and Joff. They had been long and the labours had been even longer.

"Indeed" Rhaenyra smiles as she looks at Aemma who plays with the skin around her fingers nervously. "What is it Aemma?"

"I have a bad feeling for what is doing to happen"

Rhaenyra frowns confused, "What is going to happen?". The only answer she gets is a shrug as Aemma looks at the Gods' Tree.

"I have had a coat made for you, Mother." Aemma suddenly says making Rhaenyra look at her "It is purple and is waiting for you in Dragonstone, I had it sent there as soon as it was finished, obviously I did not know that Luke was going to be challenged"

"Thank you, Aemma. I am sure it is beautiful... Come it is time to be readied" Rhaenyra sighs noticing the hour has grown late. She did not want to stop taking with her daughter but knew that they had to get ready for the coming dinner. Aemma nods and together they walk back into the Red Keep hand in hand feeling at peace.