chapter twelve

Being the new PA of the CEO is a huge responsibility; it requires a lot of training to excel in this job. However, since Jake didn't receive any prior notice before getting hired, he needs to work hard to catch up with the pace of his boss.

Jake was in the middle of turning pages of the many files Julia provided him when his phone rang.

M

Myung was calling. Jake, agitated, quickly turned down his ringtone and paced towards the washroom to pick up the call.

"What took you so long?" The person on the other line asked.

"Sorry, I was outside," Jake informed.

"Where are you?" Myung interrogated, his voice calm and cold as always. "Why did you leave the house all messy? Do you think a maid would come to clean your shit?" he harshly commented.

"I am sorry, it's just Sunoo wanted me to go out with him, and you know how stubborn he is....... that's why I...... I promise I won't let it happen again," Jake lied. He knows that he'll be in big trouble if the truth comes out, but telling Myung that he joined Heeseung's company would be an invitation to death himself. Nonetheless Heeseung was the reason why his life got messier in the first place.

"Will you be home tonight?" Jake asked since Myung decided to reply with nothing.

"No. Your father's elections are coming up, so he wants me to look after all of his business. I'll be a little busy this week" Myung said.

Jake took a silent sigh of relief. After a few minutes of talk, the call ended. Jake put the phone back in his pocket and started washing his hands.

A fellow employee closed the tap; that's when Jake realized that he was standing there for more than a few minutes with water running on his hands, completely zoned out.

Jake apologized to that person and rushed back to his desk.

------

Heeseung opened his office door; his eyes immediately landed on the only desk which had its light on, all the other desks were empty by this time.

"Aren't you going home?" Heeseung asked, nearing Jake's place. Jake got startled at the sudden voice which led him to look towards its source.

"Not now, sir. I've got a lot of work to catch up on" Jake said, bringing his focus back to his laptop screen.

"Again, sir, Jake, I told you, it feels weird when 'you' call me that" Heeseung said, still standing.

"Well, you better get used to it; remember our deal?" Jake said, raising one eyebrow and looking at him from his side eye.

(In the afternoon)

Jake barged into Heeseung's office without any warning and stood in front of his desk, looking fully determined.

"I have some conditions, and if you don't agree to them, then I won't work with you" Jake said all in one breath.

Heeseung put his pen down, and with a sigh, he asked, "What conditions?"

"First, inside the office, you are only my boss and nothing else.
Second, you won't unnecessarily bother. And third, the most important one, you won't go around announcing people that I work with you, especially to our friends... you absolutely can't tell about me working with you to any of our friends."

-------

"Remember?"

Heeseung sighed, "But isn't it past your work time?" He asked.

"Even so, we are still in the office" Jake reasoned.

"Argh, you're so annoying" Heeseung mumbled, which Jake didn't hear.

"Fine, but you should go home now; everyone else already left" Heeseung was worried that Jake might fall sick on his first day of work.

"I know, but I still have a lot of things left to review,L" Jake, who was typing non-stop, said.

"Still hasn't changed a bit, always been so hard on yourself... enoughhh," Heeseung slammed Jake's laptop closed.

Jake looked furiously towards his boss. "Are you crazy?" He looked annoyed.

"Yes, I am crazy... you can continue this tomorrow" Heeseung said, which Jake ignored and opened his laptop once again. "No," he said and simply went back to his work.

"Jake," Heeseung called, all frustrated with his new stubborn personal assistant.

"Can you please leave, sir? Your presence is really bothersome," Jake taunted.

Heeseung turned Jake's chair and leaned with his palms on its armrest. "It's past your work time; I am not your boss anymore" Heeseung reminded.

Both of their eyes locked with each other. Slight tension suddenly started lingering in the environment. "You are not my friend either" Jake said with a blank expression.

"Are you suggesting we are not friends anymore?" Heeseung asked for confirmation.

"That's exactly what I said... I forgot the past, and at present, we are nothing more than a boss and an employee... so keep your distance, Mr. Lee Heeseung."

"But I remember the past quite well... didn't you cry your eyes out for me, begging me to stay?"

"Don't remind me of that... it's embarrassing" Jake said and looked away, breaking the eye contact they were sharing before. "I can't believe I cried for someone like you. We were at least friends back then, but today you are just a stranger to me, who I don't want to engage with" he looked back, his words carrying a certain weight of hatred.

"I guess it's a good thing" Heeseung smirked. "It means I can start all over again."

"It means I can start all over again"