chapter twenty four

Today seemed like an eternity to Jake; it just was not ending

After he sent Ni-ki and Sunoo away, he quickly called Victor to tell him that he had completed his part of the work.

Victor, his dad's secretary, immediately handed the phone to Mr. Sim. Jake made some excuse about how it took so much time, patently hiding facts related to Sunoo.

Jake also suggested announcing his arrival to the police because the sooner they know, the fewer questions he has to answer. This seemed like a pretty good idea to Mr. Sim, so he readily agreed.

"Sir, can you please come to the police station with us for essential interrogation as my team looks through your house," the Assistant Inspector said, one hand directed towards his cop car.

"Sure," Jake politely accepted, and they both drove away to the station house. There, Jake was asked predicted questions which he answered very carefully, making sure nothing wrong slipped out of his mouth, which could cause him or his father any trouble.

"So, Mr. Jake, is there anything else you'd like to share with us or anyone you have your doubts on?" Jake sighed, eyes lowering as one name came up in his mind. Jake was not sure whether it was actually Myung's doing, but his intuition said it most probably was. Even so, Jake would never, in a million years, give his own family's name up in a scandal like this.

This is an unsaid rule, an impact from the years he lived with his father.

He has been keeping secrets for most part of his life, from others and for others. He knows better what can happen if a hidden secret gets exposed; his life is a reminder of that.

He blinked twice before breathing out another sigh, "I don't think so," he declared.

Later, he was dropped off by the same Assistant Inspector at his house, who even apologized for the inconvenience he caused. This special treatment Jake received right now, and even during interrogation, was all because his father is a powerful and respected individual.

Jake entered his house, exhaustion taking over his body. It was good to finally see everything in its place. He slipped into his blanket, his body more relaxed than ever, appreciating the fact that the camera was ultimately out of his room.

It felt different; it made Jake less tense. There were finally no prying eyes on him while he sleeps.

-------

Sunshine cast its golden glow on Heeseung's table, flourishing a few little plants present in the CEO's office room.

Jake was busy fixing the beautiful couch and the bookshelf. He came a little late this morning, but no worries since his boss hadn't showed up yet.

Jake took a look around before reaching and turning the iced Americano cup in the right direction; he then straightened up. Perfect. He smiled.

After recharging with a peaceful sleep last night, he felt content.