chapter twenty three

Jake was left speechless by the story Sunoo just told him. "You opened my door by following the beepings... wow, Kim Sunoo, you can call yourself a complete criminal now," Jake commented in disbelief.

Sunoo rolled his eyes. "After everything I told you, you only found that part intriguing... hyung! Do you have any idea how I lived these past few days? I was surviving on the bare minimum. I was crawling in your house, scared that people might see my shadow if I walked up straight. I wasn't able to turn the lights on in fear of getting caught..." Sunoo kept on ranting, but for some reason, Jake spaced out. He wasn't responding to the younger at all.

"Shit."

"What?" Sunoo asked as he noticed the elder looking at him with a certain realization.

Jake hurriedly pulled out his phone from his pocket, opening YouTube and showing the younger the live news. With panic in his voice, he asked, "Is this you?"

Sunoo leaned forward to take a proper look at the video. He was left shook. "I am on the news?" His voice low that only he could hear.

"Are you crazy?" Suddenly, Jake exclaimed. Sunoo couldn't say anything as he was in dismay. "How can you trust a stranger just like that, you idiot?" Jake was clearly pissed and spewed harsh words.

"I needed money."

"For what? For drugs? Great reason, Kim Sunoo. Why are you always so crazy about money?"

"Because I was not born with a silver spoon like you."

"I know you were born rich. Hiding behind a facade of being poor doesn't really make you poor. You'll never have to go through what I have to go through," Sunoo panted, his voice carrying the weight of suffering.

"Yeah, born rich. Born rich by the person you accused of killing your family... he will kill you, Sunoo," Jake's voice became soft at the latter part of his sentence while Sunoo was left dumbstruck. His eyes met Jake's, who only had worry lingering in them.

"Once he finds you, he'll kill you," Jake stated helplessly.

He is not joking, knowing the devil his father is; he can go to any extent to shut down the news that disturbs his hard-earned reputation. And the best way to do it is to kill the cause of it. That's what Jake's father has been doing all along.

If Jake is correct, then his father, the police, and in the worst-case scenario; Myung, are also behind Sunoo.

"You need to leave," Jake said.

"Where to?"

"I don't know. Anywhere where they can't find you."

"They?" Sunoo asked.

"Yeah, my dad and the police," and Myung.

"Holy shit! Hyung, you have to do something. I can't go to jail," Sunoo panicked.

"Is there someone you trust? A family member or anyone?"

"You," sadness filled his words because he couldn't think of any other name. Jake sighed, knowing damn well that Sunoo doesn't have anyone else in his life. Still, Jake can't keep Sunoo close to him, because right now, there is no one more dangerous than Jake to him.

"Anyone else, think Sunoo. Anyone?"

Sunoo hesitated before a name stuttered out of his mouth. "Ni-ki," Jake looked at him confused yet opened his phone, going to Ni-ki's contact and calling him. He stood up and walked back and forth, keeping his phone close to his ear.

"Since when did you guys get close?" Jake asked while waiting for the other line to pick up. As far as Jake knows, Sunoo has always been annoyed by the younger, and he has only seen them playing a tug of war of insults whenever they are together.

"Tell him that I need him and that-" Sunoo wasn't able to finish as Ni-ki picked up.

"Ni-ki, I need your help," Jake looked at Sunoo and rephrased, "I mean Sunoo needs your help. Can you please come over?"

"No," Ni-ki firmly said.

Jake covered the phone's microphone with his hand and mouthed to Sunoo, "He is saying no."

"Tell him I am crying," Sunoo gestured, and Jake followed.

"He is crying, like, like hysterically. It's really urgent, Ni-ki. Please..." Jake requested.

"Fine," Ni-ki sighed. Jake immediately proceeded to tell him their location.

Soon after, the door to the convenience store opened, revealing tall, handsome Ni-ki wearing a leather jacket. He took off his helmet and stood at his spot as his eyes met Sunoo's.

Sunoo stood up and strode towards the younger, hugging him. "You came," Sunoo tightened his hug, burying himself deeper in the taller's chest. Sunoo felt himself tearing up. The past few days were really a misfortune for him. During the struggle, the only thing he craved for was Ni-ki's warmth.

Sunoo detached himself from Ni-ki, who never hugged the younger back, his sharp eyes displaying disappointment. "I am sorry," Sunoo muttered.

"Sorry to disturb you guys, but we are short on time," a voice pulled them out of their bubble. Both of them took seats where Jake was sitting.

When both of them settled, Jake informed Ni-ki about the situation. He didn't tell him everything, but as much as was needed. Throughout the conversation, Ni-ki kept glancing over at Sunoo, and Sunoo... well, he was only trying his best to avoid Ni-ki's eyes.

Both the younger got stunned when Jake placed four thickest bundles of notes they had ever seen, which Jake took out from the black trash bag he was holding ever since he and Sunoo left his house. "Woah!" Sunoo exclaimed.

"Did you rob a bank or did you start selling drugs like him?" Ni-ki taunted, his remark clearly toward Sunoo, who rolled his eyes. Ni-ki was still unaware of Jake's family background and asked again, "Where did you get this?"

"Doesn't matter," Jake dismissed and continued in a more serious tone, "Ni-ki, I want you to take him to another country as soon as possible. It's not safe for him here."

Ni-ki took a deep breath, understanding the depth of the situation. "I need to pack my stuff," he said. Sunoo and Jake felt relieved as Ni-ki agreed to their plan.

By the time Ni-ki and Sunoo were leaving, the clock had already hit 10.

Ni-ki started his bike, and Sunoo sat behind him, his hand snaking around Ni-ki's small waist. "Take this! Throw it in a river on your way home," Jake held out the black trash bag from earlier. Sunoo took it, and they both drove away.

------

Ni-ki and Sunoo stood at an empty slab culvert. Wind brushed their hair as they looked down at the shimmering water flowing underneath them. "I wonder what's in it," Sunoo said.

"Don't open it-" as if Sunoo would listen.

Sunoo peeked inside the large trash bag in his hand, which was more than half empty. He put his hand inside and felt some clothes and some unusual hard objects. He was only able to grab two of those.

"What's this?" he wondered while toying with the small object in his hand. "Looks like a spy camera," Ni-ki said, to which Sunoo nodded.

He then looked at the other thing in his hand. It was a vial. In the moonlight, he read the small slip that had its name, "diacetylmorphine." His eyes grew wider. "It's a sedative drug," he said under his breath.