Chapter 29

When Cyborg and Impulse arrived at Kira's apartment, they found a strange middle aged man wearing some kind of weird necklace ransacking it, only for him to be shoved into a wall by Cyborg, who held him at cannon point.

"Who are you and what the hell are you doing here?" Cyborg demanded.

"It's really you, the Cyborg." the man said.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Cyborg asked again, her cannon starting to warm up.

"I had to know what made you into what you are, Ms. Runk." the man said, shocking them both.

"What are you talking about?" Cyborg asked as she lowered her cannon, but still kept it armed.

"I know who you are, Kira Runk. I know that you are a marvel of science. You could be the key to everything I've been working towards." The man said as Cyborg used her cybernetic eye to run a facial trace on him.

"Dr. Niles Caulder. Disbarred from practicing medicine for performing unethical and frankly dangerous experiments on patients illegally, wanted in numerous countries for a list of crimes too long to go into, but like I said, illegal human experimentation. Nearly none of your patients survived their so-called operations and no one knows what happened to the ones who did. But the thing that interests me the most is the fact that according to this, you were born in 1888, and yet not only are you still alive, but you don't look anywhere near that old." Cyborg said, feeding all this to Argus to know they need to come make a delivery.

"I'm looking for the thing that made you what you are." Caulder said, not answering the question.

"Why the hell would I tell you what made me or where it is?" Cyborg asked, since the box had been well hidden and there was no way she'd tell this lunatic where it was.

"Because I need it. I need what you have." Caulder said.

"Why would I give you power like this? You're a monster." Cyborg growled at him as she showed him the power by pointing her cannon right at him.

"You don't understand, I need it." Caulder said.

"All you need is a long stay in a prison cell." Impulse said, since he could tell that this guy was a creep.

"You don't understand. I don't want the weapons, I need the longevity you have." Caulder said.

"The what?" Cyborg asked.

"I can tell that your cells are in a constant state of regeneration. You could live a very long life, you've been given the gift of longevity, if not immortality. A power I have sought for a very long time." Caulder said.

"Why?" Cyborg asked.

"I have my reasons, but it is important that I succeed in my quest." Caulder said.

"And you don't care who you have to hurt or kill to get it?" Impulse asked in disgust, right as Argus burst in.

"We came as soon as we got your message. Director Michaels is very eager to see this man." the lead agent said and Impulse nodded.

"Good. Especially since no one knows what happened to his patients." Impulse said.

"And we need to find out how he knows who I am and what I have." Cyborg said.

"He knows your name?" the agent asked.

"Yeah and he had some idea of how I became this." Cyborg said.

"You should probably come with us then." the agent said and Impulse and Cyborg both nodded in agreement.

"I'll contact Silver Wolf, I think she should be part of this interrogation too." Impulse said and Cyborg nodded as he sped out.

"You have to let me go. My patients need me." Caulder insisted.

"You mean your experiments? You turned innocent people into science projects and you didn't feel an ounce of remorse about it. It's people like you that give scientists a bad name and you're going to rot in a cell for the rest of your life." Cyborg said angrily, furious that anyone would use science the way she knew Caulder was using it.

"I can't go to prison. I need to be allowed to complete my work." Caulder insisted.

"No, what you need is a set of prison stripes. And I hope that whatever is keeping you alive is reaching its expiration date for your sake, otherwise you're gonna be spending a very long time in a prison cell." Cyborg said as she finally retracted her cannon and shoved Caulder into the hands of the Argus agents and followed them out of her apartment, making a note to either move or upgrade the security system or both.