Chapter 4

"Mason Hendricks" My name was announced in the class by Her

Of course, she had to be my study buddy. after years of awkward nothings, the universe chooses to fuck with me. It was a great start to my junior year. It was bad enough to sit beside her the whole lecture and listen to Miss Layla without understanding anything. Because of an intoxicating smell of sweet citrus from her. Because of her nervous habit of bouncing her leg- which never went away. and most of all because of her. I couldn't stop looking at her from the corner of my eyes.

Our eyes meet from across the class just as the bell rings. And the class starts to disperse 

"Okay, everyone! you have to schedule at least one session per week with your buddy and a report should be handed by each of you at the end of the semester about what did you learn from them. and you can all go now."

I start to pack my bag and get out as soon as I can. I am not ready to talk to her yet, but as I look up I don't see her anywhere. Well.. maybe she wasn't ready to talk to me too

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A normal teenager's highlight of the day is when school is done, and they get to go home to rest, chill, or just be away from school. However, it's different for me. I don't like it when we have to go home, especially during my mother's week with me. After the divorce between my parents, Dad moved out and rented a house in the same town to stay close to us. My parents share custody, so we spend every other week with each of them. The thing is, my brother and I never stay at the same house. If it's my week at Dad's, then it's his week at Mom's. We only meet on holidays and on Sundays.

Usually, I stay back at the school library, but not today. Due to Dad's conference, my brother Koty is going to stay with us for the rest of the week. That means five days of us living together. It's the longest we have stayed together since the divorce.

I get to the house and park my car in the driveway; this is the most impatient I have ever been while getting home. As soon as I open the door and step inside, I hear the thundering noise of footsteps getting near me, and then a weight is thrown over. We both go tumbling down to the floor but don't stop hugging.

Koty is seven years younger than me, but he is a big kid for his age. We are not normally this clingy, or maybe we are, but the reason we are acting extra clingy is that we're meeting after three weeks. He was at summer camp and just got back on Monday.

I have missed him like crazy.

Hey, buddy! How was the summer camp?"

"It was amazing! I had a blast! We made fire with rocks, we fished, and, and, and, we even bathed in this waterfall! It was so cool! Mason!..." Koty launches into his super amazing journey of camping. He has always been this excited kid, even at the time of the divorce when he was just five years old. I hope nobody takes away his happiness and self-assurance like mine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------