Chapter 14

Homecoming is around the corner, and the school is a mess, filled with roses, flowers, notes, and all the lovey-dovey stuff you can think of

Homecoming is around the corner, and the school is a mess, filled with roses, flowers, notes, and all the lovey-dovey stuff you can think of. I hate it; it's all very annoying and cringe. I'm always envious of those girls who get asked out like this. Maybe that's the reason I hate all the dances.

Yes, I'm always accompanied by the boys, especially Silas. I'm always his date, but it's just a platonic date. They all find someone at the end of the dance, and I'm left all alone.

Right now, I'm standing in the canteen line for food and watching as our perfect football captain of the school asks his perfect, beautiful head cheerleading squad girlfriend for the homecoming dance in the most perfect and cringiest form of proposal.

"This is ridiculous, right?" I whip my head towards the new voice and get startled when my eyes clash with the chocolate brown eyes.

Mason points towards the perfect couple, who I'm sure will be married with kids in the coming 10 years. "This is all chaos and all declaration of love and all."

"Of course, you don't like these things."

"It's not that I don't like it. It's just... you know, a waste of time? I mean, she is your girlfriend, just ask her, and she will easily say yes." He shrugs.

"The girl who is going to the homecoming with you must be so lucky."

"I'm not going to the dance." He playfully touches my shoulder with his.

"You are not?" I ask weirdly, being happy about the part of him not taking anyone.

"Nope, you're going?"

"Yeah!" Not elaborating more.

"Just 'yeah'? Who are you going with?" Mason asks me weirdly.

"You know, Silas." I shrug. I don't know why, but I wanted to hide this thing from him.

"Silas? Huh." His face hardens listening to this.

"Yeah." The atmosphere around us gets weird and tense, so I just skip all of it. "See you around." and I go without looking at him.

I collect my food and head towards the school grounds, sitting near the last bench by the tree. No one goes around there, that's why Ivy likes to sit there. Ivy is my one and only female friend, or she is more like my introverted child to my extroverted tendencies. She is the biggest bookworm I have ever met, and she tells the whole story of her books just because she knows I will never read them. She is the one who never judges me. The boys don't even know I have friends other than them, and she stays out of that group just because.

"Hey there!" I sit down beside her.

"Sandwich?" she asks without looking up. See this bookworm.

"Nope, I'm good. What book are you reading?"

"Rereading." She finally looks up, closing her book. "You are going to the homecoming with Silas, aren't you?"

"You know I am. I always go with him," I sigh.

"And don't you want to go with someone else, say Mason?" Yeah, she knows everything about Mason and all my thoughts, even if I don't tell her.

"No, I don't! Anyway, what about you? Are you not coming?" I pout playfully at the chances of that.

"No, I don't go to those things." She gets back to her book again.

"Oh, come on, I can ditch Silas, and we'll go together!"

"I think you want to ditch Silas for someone else."

Oh, that I do, Ivy... that I do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------