Chapter 11

Turns out, library duty is much more complicated than I thought

Turns out, library duty is much more complicated than I thought. Logan already had done his one-hour check on us, and we were still on the third pile of books. We have to put the books in their particular section with their particular serial number and check with the system. It's ironic, really. We got this detention because of my frustration towards Noa, and now we're having a non-stop conversation about anything and everything. It's fun, really. Sometimes Noa sprouts facts like an encyclopedia at a sudden time, and sometimes she reads a few quotes in the books we are arranging and makes fun of them. I never thought detention would be fun, but here I am, having my detention with the girl I detest. Weird, right?

"This one says, 'Psychology marks the triumph of human evaluation. How many other human species need the science of mind?' Exactly! Who needs the science of mind or anything of the mind?" She sighs and shakes her head at the book she held in her hands. "It's bullshit for money; that's what this is!"

"You don't believe in psychology?"

"You do?" She stops doing what she is doing and gapes horribly at me.

"Umm... yeah?" I say warily as I move to the next pile, the second last pile of books. Phew!

"You shouldn't; it's all bullshit." She looks at the book in her hand and says, "Oh, look, another one of the brain books," because we are in that section. "And this one says, 'As a therapist, I am a companion. I try to help people tune into their own wisdom.'" She closes the book and rolls her eyes.

"You don't believe in therapy?" I ask her casually.

"I believe in mental health, not therapy. It's like they take money from us to talk and not judge, and at the end of the session, they judge us with a diagnosis. And it's just my opinion, no strong feelings towards it, but I think it's better if we talk to the people we love about issues than strangers."

"Hmm, but the brain doesn't work that way, you know?"

"I know, and the brain doesn't work anyway. The brain is something I can never understand; they are a bunch of fucked-up nerves together up there, making us fucked because we all are."

I laugh hearing this because it kind of makes sense when it shouldn't.

"So we should cancel out psychology and therapist from the list of your career choices, huh?"

"Or anything related to brains, yes! If there was a career in skateboarding, I would do it!"

"You still do that?" I look at her, Man! I forget she used to skate and was damn good at it.

"Yup." Noa looks at me straight in the eye, and I see her blue-green eyes. Right now, they're green due to sunlight from the window above. Those mesmerizing, intoxicating green-blue eyes. I hear Noa clearing her throat.

"That's cool!" And we both get to work silently, but this one is not awkward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------