Chapter 18

"Where are we, Grandpa?"

He chuckles. "Nowhere."

"Huh?"

"This place is called Nowhere. This is where your grandma and I used to come to get a break from your dad."

"It's so spooky, but in a good way."

"It is, isn't it?"

The first time I went to Nowhere was when I was 6 years old with my grandpa, and since then, that place has been my peace. After Grandpa died, I used to go there just to be. I don't think anybody knows about that place other than me, Grandpa, and maybe Dad, but he never acknowledges it.

As I was about to head to Noa's, all I wanted to do was cancel the study session and go to the cabin. But we had to complete the project somehow, and the library was off-limits. Due to last attempt triumphs, we decided to meet at her place, which I have not visited in years. It will be all awkward for me, especially because of... let's not think about that.

 I get to her front door and knock; it's opened almost immediately. I come face to face with Mrs. Scott. Noa is the perfect mixture of her mom and her dad, but she gets her cherry hair and beautiful face from her mother, I'm sure.

" Mason! How are you? Oh, God, you have grown so much. Come in, come in."

"Hi, Mrs. Scott. I'm good, and I got this for you." The only thing I learned from my mother is never to go to someone's house empty-handed.

"Oh, you didn't have to! Noa! Mason is here! And you can call me Loreen, honey, none of this 'Mrs. Scott' and all." She smiles and places the flowers I brought in a pot.

"How is everyone at home? How is little Koty?" She sits down to chat with me. The Scotts were the warmest people ever. When I used to hang out with them, they were the ones to take care of me when my parents were busy with their own bullshit.

"All are good." I hear footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Hey, you're here. Let's go to my room; we'll study there."

"He just got here, Noa."

"And we have to complete our studies, Mom." She takes my hand and drags me to her room.

"It was nice to meet you, Mr- Loreen," I say, walking backward.

"You too, sweetie! And I'll bring some snacks later!" She shouts behind us.

We get to her room, and I see the similarities. "Your room has not changed a bit, has it?" Just a few additions.

Noa removes the chair from her desk and sits down. "Nope, I like my space personalized."

I look around a little. "Wanna start with Shakespeare?"

Noa sighs dramatically. "Of course, I wanna with Shakespeare."

I remove the books from my bag. "Hamlet or Romeo and Juliet?"

"Romeo and Juliet." She takes the book from me and starts reading randomly. "My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep; the more I give to thee, The more I have, for both are infinite. Why don't I have someone to talk like this?" She fakes cries and violently shakes the book.

"Because we live in the real world?" I sit beside her and notice how close we are to each other. I look at her eyes, more green than blue now, and her parted lips. Then I hear a notification from my phone and move back a little from her.

Koty: Can you come over?

Immediately, I stand up from my seat, packing all things up. "I've gotta go."

"What happened? all good?" Her brows furrow in confusion.

"Yeah, I think so. That was Koty. We'll reschedule this for tomorrow." Without a backward glance, I go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------