Chapter 16

This year, my mom was very involved in my homecoming preparation

This year, my mom was very involved in my homecoming preparation. Though it was my first homecoming, my mom had never paid attention to the school dances before. But this year, we went shopping, had manicures and pedicures, and got our hair done. We went all out. When I asked her about it, she said, and I quote, "When girls find their assets, they have to preserve and nourish them," and by that, I think she meant my newly grown boobs this year, all that puberty and all.

The clothes I wear are normally baggy, so nobody knows about my girls. Even I didn't realize about them until now. I mean, I knew I got them with puberty, but I didn't know they could make me look good. As I see myself in the mirror, I don't recognize myself. I see a girl wearing a glittery peach-pink dress which fits her perfectly, her cherry red hair which is normally stuck in the cap flowing down on her shoulders in gentle waves. She looks beautiful. I look beautiful... Wow.

"You look beautiful, honey," my mom says, entering the room.

I consciously smooth my hands over my dress. "Thank you."

"Too bad you're going with that Silas," her mouth twists in displeasure.

"Mom!" I twist towards her, appalled and amused at the same time.

"What? I just think he's not the right guy for you."

"I know that. We're not going on a date; he's just accompanying me, which he always does."

She sighs. "Anyway, he's waiting for you downstairs." Suddenly, her expression softens, and she caresses my hair. "I wish your dad would have been here to see his beautiful daughter."

"Me too, Mom." But unfortunately, he had important work this weekend which he couldn't miss. I put my shoes on and go downstairs with Mom.

"Whoa! Is that you, Noa, or is it your secret twin sister? Are you hiding a Noa clone from us, Loreen?" Silas teases.

"She was born this beautiful, Silas. Don't tease her," she gives him a narrowed-eyed look.

"Of course not, but I think we all know where she got her looks from." Silas never misses an opportunity to rile up my mom, so before the war begins, I interrupt.

"Stop flirting with my mom, Si. Let's go; we're already late." I grab Si's arm and drag him towards his car.

"Bye, Loreen! I'll miss you very much," he shouts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The school's lobby is beautifully decorated for the end of the dance. The whole football team is going to be felicitated; they were amazing in this year's tournament.

Though the surprising thing for me was Kaiden with a date and Beau without. It's always the opposite; Kaiden is a moody bastard and doesn't do the school dance thing, but this time he is looking quite amazing in a tux with a cheerleading date, and Beau is always the one with a date, not a platonic one, but today is not the case.

As I get closer to them, I see one more shocking surprise waiting for me: the person Beau is having a very good talk with.

Mason.

He looks very tasteful in his tux, and then his chocolate eyes are roaming all over me. His soft pink lips part, and there is a weird look in his eyes right now. Then his gaze goes to Si's arm, which makes his jaw tense, and I think I know why.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------