Chapter 15

First, comes hydrogen, then helium, lithium, and um

First, comes hydrogen, then helium, lithium, and um... oxygen?

No, no, no, beryllium! ...Fuck! What then!?

I open my book in frustration and try to remember what comes next. Yes, yes, boron and carbon, and...?

Ugh, Fuck this!

I slam my book shut and start pacing like a madman, my thoughts wandering on the same thing: Noa.

I can't erase what she told me. I can't unhear who she was going to homecoming with, and why the fuck was I affected by it? I shouldn't be, according to what I've heard. They always go together to these things as each other's dates, but this time it bothers me to a different extent.

I try to compose myself and get back to my studying, and just then I hear the jingle of keys and the shattering of glass.

What the fuck?

As far as I know, I was alone at home. So, I rush downstairs and see a mess made by none other than my mother, who is surprisingly home early and unsurprisingly drunk, searching for something in the kitchen. Then she spots me.

"Macey!! Hi! I'm looking for the wine. Have you seen them or did you steal them, huh?" Typical.

"No, Mom, I don't know where you keep your wine, but I think you've already had enough." I step towards her to help her to her bed, but she steps back.

"Are you the parent or am I the parent? You don't tell me when I've had enough, alright, you shit!" She sways, saying this, clearly having no idea how much she had to drink.

She gets to the living room, stumbling, but at last, she drops onto the couch and starts laughing maniacally. I normally do not engage with her; I'm always on my own devices in my room. But this behavior of hers is getting me worried.

"Mom? Are you okay?"

Suddenly, Mom stops laughing and looks at me quizzically. "You are asking me if I'm okay? You?" She scoffs. "Mase, no, I'm not okay at all, and you know whose fault it is? Yours and that little shit of your brother. You both made my life miserable. You both are selfish bastards, but you are more than him. You always had your thing with hockey and never cared about others. I wish I never had you so my life would not have turned out like this. So never ask me that question again, Mase. Now, get the fuck out of my sight!"

Saying this, she passes out without registering anything else, and I stand there frozen, shocked to my core, unable to breathe. Before I do anything I regret, I grab my car keys, get out of the house as fast as possible, and drive aimlessly, anywhere and everywhere.

After at least half an hour, I stop before a creepy-looking park and get out of the car to take a breather.

Breathe in... one, two, three... breathe out... one, two, three... in... one, two, three... out... one, two, three...

I do this a couple of times, but then I hear a sweet voice calling me and see the person who made the start of my day hell.

"Mason! What are you doing here?" Noa asks, always accompanied by the asshole.

"Hey, man!" Silas greets me.

"Hi. Nothing much, was just passing by and saw this park. It looks so creepy now," I say. We all used to hang out in this park, which was a nice kiddy place, but that's not the situation now.

"I know, it gives a haunted vibe," Silas agrees with me, That Asshole!

"No, it gives an edge to it. I like it!" Noa always turns something dangerous into adventurous. "We always sit around here, it makes me calm. Do you want to join, Mason?" Just as I was about to decline, I saw Kaiden and Beau joining the group.

"Hey, yo, Hendricks is here today? That's some black magic," Beau says, slinging his arm around my shoulders and taking me into the park. I guess I'm hanging out with them.

"Or some Noa magic? What's up, Mason?" Kaiden asks.

"Leave him alone," says Simon while lighting his blunt. "Want some weed, dude?"

I look around and see Noa's disgust, but think it's already been a shitty day, so I turn to Silas.

"Why not?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------