Chapter 8

So, it turns out I was kinda acting like a spoiled brat, and I had to admit it to myself

So, it turns out I was kinda acting like a spoiled brat, and I had to admit it to myself. When Mason texted, apologizing and suggesting a study session, I didn't give him the cold shoulder this time. Instead, I shot back three words: "Library. After school." I know it was a bit rude, but backing down wasn't an option at that point.

Regret started creeping in as soon as I pulled away. It felt like he was dealing with a kid, probably because of how I was acting, and it made me feel dumb. Yeah, maybe I unleashed some old grudge for no good reason, but he just has this way of making me feel weak. So, I did what I thought would boost my self-esteem. Everyone's got insecurities; some are a big deal, others not so much. No one's totally secure. Maybe it's about looks, skills, work, or whatever. and I can't help but get ticked off when someone pokes at those sore spots.

As much as I dread the end of school, deep down, I'm excited and nervous to spend time with him—yeah, it's not your usual friends' hangout. We'll either have loads of awkwardness between us or end up fighting, bringing the whole library down, and I don't know which one is worse.

As the last bell rings, my nerves start to kick in even more. I take my sweet time getting to the library. When I enter, I spot a brown head. I scan my ID and plop down beside him.

 "So, what do you want to start with today?" I hear his quiet murmur but decide to ignore it.

"Noa?" "You said we can just sit beside each other and study on our own." I don't make any eye contact with him; I just remove my books from my bag and start shuffling the pages.

"Oh, come on! Yo—" We hear a shushing noise just as he takes deep breaths and says, "Look, let's do it properly, okay? We'll just discuss that, nothing else, and please don't argue with that now."

Not wanting to make a big scene, I reluctantly agree.

Miss Layla emailed us a bunch of tasks to be completed at our study session, like research on the history of literature, the Romantic Age, Shakespeare, the modern era, and so on. We're supposed to discuss these and make a report or research on these things.

"Let's start with the Romantic era." because I've already made a few notes about it. I don't say that out loud

"Fine," he huffs and removes his notes.

"This era started sometime in 1785, right? We can make a timeline, like, the pre-Romantic age, then the stages of the Romantic era, and maybe the post or a conclusion. This way, it'll be easy to understand and—"

"No!" I make a big grimace, hearing his idea.

"No?" he says, unable to believe I said no!

"Yeah, no. It's a Romantic age, Mason. The plan you said is nice but boring. Let's make it interesting, like starting with wonderful, dreamy quotes - 'The sweetness of love is short-lived, but the pain endures.' When an era consists of this, how can they not be known - something like this, you know?"

"It's research; we have to be precise about it." His face twists in anger.

"Yeah, but we can make it interesting—the term you don't know," and I went out of track.

"We decided to remain focused on the session." Right now, his face is like a red tomato.

"Yeah, but you don't listen, you just th—" At the same time, I hear his frustrated shout.

"AND YOU LISTEN!?!?"

And now everyone's looking at us as if we have murdered someone.

Great!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------