A deal with the devil

The next day, after getting directions on where Jake's meant to go to meet Trudy, he meets up with her outside the indoor courtyard and after confirming who he is, she leads him inside, heading straight to a certain gunship.

"I'm Trudy. I fly all the science sorties, and this here is my baby." Trudy says as they walk and she gently taps the gunship she pilots.

Jake raises an eyebrow at the sight of the gunship, sizing it up with a critical eye.

"Looks like a nice ride." Jake comments, his tone appreciative.

Trudy smiles proudly, however her smile flatters as she sees Lyle still messing around with the guns, not having put them in place properly yet.

"Hold on a second." Trudy tells Jake, walking closer to Lyle.

"Hey, Wainfleet! Get it done! We bounce at zero to nine!" Trudy says firmly.

"Yeah, I'm on it, captaine!" Lyle replies and grunts softly as he loads the gun in properly.

Jake watches the interaction between Trudy and Lyle, Jake's  lips curving into a slight smile. It's clear that Trudy takes her role seriously.

Jake takes the moment to glance around the area, observing the various military personnel as they go about their duties.

"Seems like you run a tight ship." Jake comments to Trudy, appreciating the discipline he sees.

Trudy nods in acknowledgment of the compliment.

"It takes discipline and precision to operate a gunship like this." Trudy  says, her tone matter of fact.

"Lyle over there is a pain in my ass, but he's a reliable enough loader." Trudy adds, glancing at the bald man.

Jake chuckles lightly, understanding the complex dynamics between teammates.

Trudy rejoins Jake and she frowns when she sees that the vine strike is still loose so she turns to one of her workers.

"Vine strike's still loose." Trudy informs her worker before continuing to walk while Jake rolls after her in his wheelchair.

"You guys are packing some heavy gear." Jake states as he follows her.

Trudy nods, acknowledging Jake's observation.

Jake is focused on the discussion with Trudy, rolling along in his wheelchair as they walk. As they cross a walk way, a low clearance, motorized trolley stacked high with ordnance barrels is making its way around a corner, guided by a preoccupied worker comes their way.

Trudy's eyes widen in alarm, but before she can react, the worker piloting the trolley hits the brakes, stopping just mere inches from colliding with Jake's wheelchair.

The potential collision is narrowly avoided, and Jake and Trudy quickly move out of the way, and the worker hesitates for a moment before continuing to push the trolley.

"Watch it!" Trudy scolds the person pushing the trolley, watching as they continue on.

After a moment, Trudy continues walking, Jake following in his wheelchair, recovering from almost becoming a version of road kill.

"Yeah, that's 'cause we're not the only thing flying around out there. Or the biggest." Trudy replies to his earlier observation.

As they make their way to wherever they're going, it's clear that Trudy has earned the respect of her colleagues. Jake can see it in the way they greet her as they pass, the nods of acknowledgment and the occasional 'ma'am' thrown her way.

"You've got quite the reputation around here." Jake observes, impressed.

Trudy shrugs modestly, but a smile tugs at the corner of her mouth.