Chapter 27-Interlude

The doors slid open to Anakin's quarters. He smiled at Cassandra and gestured her to proceed him into the rooms. Her small shoulders were slumped and her stride sluggish as she placed her suitcase and staff on one end of the sofa.

Goose trotted across the carpet to the bank of windows. Curling her tail around her feet, the Flerken stared out at the afternoon traffic. R2-D2 joined Goose, whistling. If the Flerken understood binary, she gave no indication.

Anakin's girlfriend was physically and emotionally exhausted from their trials on Ansion.

He was relieved to be back in Coruscant where he could better protect the sorceress. The battle for Ansion revealed Cassandra lacked the disposition for war. It was no reflection on her personally, she just didn't handle the aftermath well.

Not everyone did. Anakin suspected the trauma she experienced during the 'Blip' when she was a teenager had left deep scars on her psyche. To say nothing of the abuse she suffered at Emrys' hands when he abducted her and forced his magic on her. She wasn't weak. She could fight but she did not deal with the emotional elements of a battle well.

Anakin watched her meander slowly through the living room, running her hands absentmindedly along the furniture as if marking their tangibility

Anakin watched her meander slowly through the living room, running her hands absentmindedly along the furniture as if marking their tangibility. He had to be patient with Cassandra. She'd always been particularly anxious and prone to panic attacks.

His gaze drifted to the Porg napping peacefully in his favorite armchair

His gaze drifted to the Porg napping peacefully in his favorite armchair. The little creature had fared well in his absence.

As if sensing Anakin's attention Porggy blinked sleepily and warbled. Spotting the Jedi, Porggy screeched excitedly and flew toward him.

The Porg hugged the front of his robes, enveloping him with an eyewatering stench. Anakin gagged and pried the bird off his chest. "3P0!"

Threepio shuffled out of the back hall, carrying a basket of dirty linens. "Master Anakin, Miss Cassandra! Welcome home!"

Glaring at the protocol droid, Anakin thrust the Porg at him. "What did Porggy get into? He stinks!"

Offended, 3PO sniffed. "I have taken proper care of the creature since Master Obi-Wan left it in my care! The Porg's manners leave something to be desired! It gets into everything! Don't get me started on some of the messes I've had to clean up!"