Chapter 30-Concordia

The next day Cassandra boarded a shuttle with Obi-Wan and Satine headed for Concordia. Goose was forbidden to travel to the moon for fear Governor Viszla would order her imprisoned. In the palace, she was set up in Cassandra's lavish guestroom guarding her relics (and eating as much cheese a Flerken could ever want).

Zipped in her coat pocket with her sling ring was her commlink from Anakin, the one thing she refused to leave behind. After the bombing, Cassandra had contacted her Jedi as soon as she was alone needing the comfort only, he could provide.

Anakin was disturbed by the events on Mandalore and promised to conclude his mission on Balith as quickly as possible.

Strapping herself in, Cassandra replayed her conversation with Anakin, the memory of his soothing baritone washing over her like a balm over sunburned skin.

"Though you aren't fond of your magic, I'm glad you had it to protect you." Anakin said, his arms crossed over his chest. "Be careful, Angel. If the Mandalorians have returned to their violent ways, then caution is necessary. They despise Jedi and since Obi-Wan is with you, you'll become a target too."

"Well, my porting spell is hardly discreet but in the aftermath of the bomb no one paid attention. So, I still have the element of surprise on my side." Cassandra sighed tiredly, wishing Anakin was here to hold her in his strong arms. After the terrorist incident she desperately needed to be held by him. "Obi-Wan's not much help. He's a mess because of the duchess."

That intrigued Anakin

That intrigued Anakin. "Who? Duchess Kryze?"

"It's obvious they have a past. I don't dare bring it up to him. Ken's not himself."

Anakin's frown deepened and his gaze became more piercing. "If Obi-Wan is putting your safety at risk because he's distracted, that concerns me."

She waggled her finger at him. "Don't start with that protective stuff again, Anakin. I can take care of myself."

" I know, I just...worry."

Cassandra smiled at his awkward tone. "I'd be surprised if you weren't. Its okay to put yourself first, Anakin. What you want matters to, despite what the Jedi have taught you."

"Why are you telling me this?" He asked, vulnerable.

On the bed, she fidgeted with a strand of hair. "Because you're my best friend. I care about your happiness. It breaks my heart that you put yourself last because you feel like you have something to prove."

Anakin's lips trembled. "I-I'm your best friend?"

"Unless you know another Anakin Skywalker that fits that description?" She teased, earning a dazzling smile.

Anakin's beautiful smile lit up his entire face, blue eyes shining with adoration. "Once things are wrapped up, I'll hop in my starfighter and come to Mandalore. With the situation so unstable on Kavala, I don't want you and Obi-Wan to face it alone."