Chapter 21-The Banquet

The servants returned to help Cassandra dress for the banquet. Copper silk flowed over her body like water, hugging her modest curves in all the right places. She smoothed the luxurious fabric over her hips, the long skirt flairing around her feet. "This is the prettiest dress I've ever worn!"

Adira covered her mouth, fighting a smile at Cassandra's enthusiasm. "King Nal'el is a very wise and hospitable ruler. He is pleased to dote on his guests. My lady, will you have a seat at so we may do your hair and makeup?"

Cassandra limped over to the vanity table and perched on the damask covered stool. Adira draped an embroider drape around her shoulders to protect her dress. Another servant worked on styling her hair.

She tipped her head back, smiling. Unaccustomed to being waited on she was enjoying the pampering. The brush stroking her hair, lulled her into a relaxed state. Cassandra allowed her mind to drift aimlessly.

The setting sun bathed the bed chamber in an orange glow. Adira lowered the kohl stick and stepped aside. "What do you think?"

The dark dramatic eye shadow made the color of her eyes more intense. Adira had expertly emphasized her high cheek bones with blush and painted her lips a deep red color. Cassandra tipped her head from side to side, admiring her reflection. She rarely wore so much makeup because making the effort to dress up was too much work.

She actually looked...good.

Cassandra drew in a deep breath. "I think I'm ready. You ladies have been wonderful. I appreciate all your help."

Adira laid a hand on Cassandra's shoulder. "Your protector has cleaned up nicely. He's very handsome. Such a shame that relationships are forbidden to the Jedi."

"Yes, a shame." Cassandra echoed, hoping her expression gave nothing away. She didn't need the reminder. Even if it were true, she didn't care about the rules.

The servants departed again. Cassandra went to find Anakin. He was in his bedroom. Perched on the edge of the bed, head bowed he appeared deep in thought.

Cassandra hesitated to interrupt him

"Is it time for the banquet?" He asked, not moving from his hunched position.

Cassandra would never get used to Anakin knowing when she was there. Hobbling across the carpet, she lowered herself beside him. "What's bothering you?"

Anakin remained silent.