Hello, our name is trouble

(Hiiiii! Finally posting the very first chapter of The Problems of the Gifted! I hope you'll enjoy reading and if you have any tips for better writing comment below. I'm still new to writing like this, but I will do all I can to improve my stories! If you want more content, then go to my Instagram [nikart_chaos] or Tiktok account [nikartchaos] Enjoy!)

(Layla Hart pov.)

The night air is cold out here in the small forest, stinging my lungs. Our breaths as well as the steps are the only sound to be heard. Partly bruised and exhausted, we wonder what we should do next.

"We have to get out of here, quick!" I pant as we stare at the three of them.

Ben: "Alright, does anyone have a plan?!"

Aiden, while helping me stand straight: "Nope."

Valerie: "Not really."

Amaya: "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go."

Jian: "They're coming!"

We should've never come here in the first place. Something always goes wrong.

Me: "We're all going to die."

This is a bit confusing. Let's start from the beginning.

[Half a year ago, September:]

They make these corridors long on purpose.

I ponder as I make my way to the principals office because she called all of us after what happened back in the classroom.

Corridors are meant to give you some time to think about what you've done and realize your mistake before you even arrive.

This part of the building is always quiet and it makes me feel uncomfortable to walk because the sound of my footsteps echos across the light corridors.
I stop by one of the windows through which the early autumn sun shines in. Most students run around or walk in groups towards the cafeteria. I catch my own reflection in the glass, black wavy hair and purple eyes. Shaking my head, I continue my march towards the office.
When I finally arrive the worried voice in my head already knows what's coming. After taking a breath I knock on the door which has a sign on it saying: Headmistress Harris.
I can hear a: Come in! and do as told. Upon entering I see the whole group, five of them, all sitting paitently on the sofas which stand across from each other while Valerie waves to me. The Headmistress gives me a short glance:

"Please, Layla. Take a seat." Headmistress Harris says, her ginger hair catching the sunlight that streams in through the windows.

Nodding, I trod towards the others, taking the place next to Amaya.

Our group is known to get in some sorts of trouble, even though I'm just two weeks at the academy. And Headmistress Harris had enough of our so called shenanigans:

"I will get straight to the point. *sighs* You six just started your third year-"

I stretch out my hand to correct her, because this is only my first year, she notices and continues:

"Five of you did. That doesn't change the fact that you all have brought a lot of trouble to the academy. I am surely not the first to tell you to always reconsider taking risks. And in your case better not take them at all. There are no students who match your level of recklessness-"

"Yes!" Aiden and Valerie cheer at the same time, high-fiving while being seated across from each other.

I want to slap my face. It's impossible for us to avoid trouble and they don't make it better, they like to stand out. I noticed that, especially with Valerie, when I first arrived. The academy's uniform is a basic white shirt, brown trousers and a pastel purple colored tie.
However, one could spot Valerie out of the crowd anytime. With her tangerine-like vest and all the bracelets on her hand, turquoise hair added with hairclips, she is like a chameleon among white sheep. She told me she had many arguments about it with the teachers and Headmistress Harris herself, in the end they let her express her style and still keeping the uniform.
She can be very persuasive.
Aiden has a different approach. But I doubt that ignoring assignments or constantly forgetting to put on his tie is a way to express his individuality.
It may as well be sloppiness.