Different kind of celebration

(*Note: TW-violence, TW-injury, TW-blood* Phew! This chapter took me so long to write! Can you guess why?)

(Layla Hart pov.)

I genuinely didn't know what to expect, but this...
This is amazing!

Finally arrived in town, I gape at the sight before us: It's all full of people, lights, snow and sounds. Even the air smells like baked sweets.

"¡Vamanos, people! Let's have some fun!"
(*Come on!*) Aiden cheers and takes me by the hand.

A weird feeling is tingling in my chest at this.
The winter market is full of people, some buying stuff, others eating pretzels and other goods.
The atmosphere is incredible, it all doesn't cease to fascinate me.

I've never seen anything like it.

Of course, I'm not the only one who is amazed: My friends eyes sparkle with amusement.
We go to a stand with food, getting ourselves pretzels, warm bagels and hot chocolate. Valerie and Ben are having a small straw fight while Jian pays. Aiden, Amaya and I are eating the food.
I'm surprised by how good it tastes, even better than back at the academy.
Going further in after eating the delicious food, Valerie shows me a pretty candles and decorations stand.
Meanwhile, Amaya takes a look at some books nearby, Jian is assisting her.
Aiden is making weird poses while Ben is taking photos of him and everything around us.
I'm pretty sure he's made thousands of them by now.

Gosh, I'm glad I agreed to come after all.
This is not something young Gifted can experience every day.

[About 2 hours later:]

Currently, Jian, Amaya and I are sitting on the benches of the ice skating place.
Even though it's freezing out here, I'm too busy taking in everything around me to notice the cold.
A certain thing I notice is how all the people around us are having fun, all smiling and laughing.

Can the life of an Ordinary really be that good? It sure does look like it.
Come on, stop thinking about that.
Just be grateful that you have the opportunity to be here.

"So, enjoying yourself?" Amaya asks me.

"More than I thought I would." I admit with all honesty. "Though I'm in need of a small break. My feet are tired of ice skating."

"Well, this is your first time, you'll get used to it. But watching them ice skating is pure comedy." she points at Aiden, Valerie and Ben who are desperately trying not to fall or to bump into other people.

Maybe I was wrong. I'm glad I came with them. Could this be the best day of my life?

Then Amaya interrupts my thoughts:
"Hey, Jian. Is something wrong?"

I look to Jian, who only now turns to us:
"I think... I've seen robbers."

"What!?" We both exclaim.

"They just headed that way." He shows us an alleyway.

"How do you know?" I glance towards where points to.

"I saw them getting a case from a closed shop. Something's off here. We have to check it out." He says firmly.

Had he read the robbers' minds to find out?

"But what about-" I want to argue about whether his is a good idea when Amaya agrees instead:

"I think these three can handle themselves."

I look back at them ice skating, and decide to follow Amaya and Jian.

Perhaps he saw wrong, this will be a simple misunderstanding.
I hope.