Rich truth

(Hi! Canonically, today is Eric's birthday: 30th March! What a coincidence, since he is relevant to today's chapter!)

(Layla Hart pov.)

[October, training hall:]

Currently we're in the ability training room, our lesson being ability mastery.
One of the academy's rules is that we have to wear our sport uniform every time we enter the hall, except we are told otherwise.
The uniform we are wearing right now is mostly grey, violet lines are embroidered at the sleeves. A t-shirt, shorts and white sneakers. All provided by the academy.
It's actually quite thoughtful that the students don't have to get their supplies themselves, it's especially convenient for those Gifted whose families are in a somewhat poor state.
At the moment, we have to use our abilities to hit fake targets. Those whose ability isn't made for combat have to wait, they'll get their own tasks.

Mr. Olser had to leave us alone because a student injured their arm, I think.

Meanwhile Amaya, Aiden, Valerie and I are training. Jian and Ben are watching us from the side.
While we're standing in a line, Valerie's on it, but she's not really good at actually hitting the target.

"Argh! Why won't it work?" She exclaims with annoyance.

Then Amaya tries to help:
"Try to make smaller force fields, that way you don't use up too much energy and focus quicker."

While Amaya explains she uses her ability, using a small amount like she said, and hits the target.
Water drips down the training dummy, she then collects it.

Amaya knows how to do this better than any of us, she really does.

"That was just like..." Valerie says, turning to Ben and they chorus:
"Episode 7 the second part!" They high five each other.

I smile and notice Aiden is next.

"It's your turn." I give him a nudge.

It's as if he was focused on something else.

"Ah, sure." He chuckles and steps forward, taking a deep breath and using his ability.

I can hear from the other side someone saying:
"Great, prepare to loose this training room."

Eric was the one who spoke.

They always fight, these two.
Not only because of their bet, but constantly.
Can't they just keep their comments to themselves? Why provoke each other?

Aiden looks straight at the target and clenches his fist. I'm 100% sure that he heard him as well.

Eric scoffs:
"I'm not surprised if he'll burn the whole yard and not even notice it."

Aiden suddenly stops his ability and turns around to face Eric, who is standing further away on the other side of the hall:

"Can you shut up!? What's your problem?"

Eric steps away from the wall:
"I don't have a problem, unlike you."

Both Samir and George are behind Eric and George sighs:
"Hey, come on-"

Samir is unsure what to say and eyes Aiden who gets riled up:
"You have no idea what it's like-!"

"Exactly!", Eric interrupts "I do not because I can use my ability properly."

They come a step closer and Aiden stares at him. The hatred is practically radiating from him.

Eric just crosses his arms:
"What, you were about to do something? Fry me to ashes?"

Aiden laughs, not his usual funny laugh:
"You think I need my ability to mess you up, but are you sure your ability will turn your teeth back to normal?"

With that, Aiden runs up to Eric, who backs down a bit, and almost hit him in the face.
Almost, because Jian comes up from behind and grabs him by the arms:

"Hey, stop that already-"

The other students gather to look at what is going on.

"What do you think you're doing?! You know you can't win the bet anyway-" Eric snaps.

George lands in front of him, using his ability:
"That's enough!"

Amaya comes up to Aiden:
"Hey look at me. Forget it, he's just provoking you."

Aiden calms down when he sees her, only then does Jian let him go.

"She's right." Says someone behind me.
We all turn around to see Zain.

She continues with a calm expression, her voice bored as ever:
"Of course, he's provoking you.
He can't stand it when someone beats him in anything, given that all he's ever achieved is thanks to his wealthy parents.
That's also the only reason people find him interesting. Being mean is his way of feeling important.
There's nothing more to it."

Everyone looks at her in shock.

"Dang." Mark whispers.

"Haha, she got him!" Don snorts.

Eric's face flushes red with embarrassment:
"You know wha-!"

He gets cut off by Mr. Olser:
"What is going on?"

Everyone turns to him and Eric clears his throat:
"Eh... nothing, Sir. We were just having a... friendly argument."

He eyes the whole class and they keep quiet.

Mr. Olser's brows knit together:
"You can have your debates after the lesson. Just because I was gone for five minutes doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want. So?"

The crowd goes back to training again, not saying a word about the fight to Mr. Olser, but still talking to each other.

As Aiden passes me, his head sunk, I ask:
"Hey, are you alright?"

He doesn't answer for a moment before replying with a thumps up:
"Yep! All good!"

Then he goes to wait in the line.

Clearly, nothing's good.