A special job

(Dhalia Dever pov.)

[About half a year ago, TOL secret compound:]

So this is the day. After years of trying to prove myself- I'm finally being sent on my big mission.

All my stuff ready is already prepared early in the morning.
I take the backpack and the suitcase the organization got for me.
It's strange having all these clothes and items, but I will need it in order to blend in with other students of AGI.
As I step out of my room, my mentor, Carmine Revons, is already standing there, waiting for me.
He's the one I'm in debt to. Carmine helped me find my ability. And thanks to him I'm going to be one of the best agents of TOL.

"Ready?" He raises a brow.

"Yes. They said I should meet them at the entrance." I pause. "We... will see each other after this, right?"

Sure, this is what I've been working for- my entire life. Yet I know how much I will miss him, his lessons and how kind he's been to me despite everything. After all, to me, he's more than just a mentor.
His gaze lingers on me for a moment.

"I would say so. You are a good agent, kid." It was as if struggling for words. "I'm proud of you."

That kinda took me by surprise, but I know he means it:
"Thanks."

"... You should go now. They don't want you to be late."

With that, we both go our separate ways, unsure when we'll meet again.

As I get down the stairs of the front entrance, I can already see the black car though the glass doors.
However, when I want to open them, someone calls me from behind:

"I see you are ready to go, agent 141?"

"Headmaster Creed?" I turn around in surprise.

Normally he wouldn't be just walking around the complex. Most of the time I've only ever seen him in his office.

"Just wanted to make sure you are ready for the mission."

"Definitely am, and I promise you, I won't let you and the TOL down."

"That's good to hear."

He rests his hand on my shoulder. The atmosphere instantly gets uncomfortable. Perhaps it's my nervousness.
Or perhaps the threatening look in his eyes.

"You cannot mess this up. The future of this organization depends on you.
So don't make me, and you, regret it.
You know what happens to agents who start to riot."

His voice had a dark edge that made a shiver crawl up my spine.
When he said: agents who start to riot, he meant my parents.
Still, all my past experiences here at TOL made me realize something.
Mom and dad may have been nice to me for the time I knew them, though that doesn't mean they were good people.
They betrayed what they stood for, and not only they paid their price, I had to as well. Just in a different way.
And now, finally, I have a chance to prove my loyalty to the organization.

I nod.
With that, he sends me off.
I try to ignore the sweat on my palms as I get into the car. Two agents, a man and a woman, sit in the front seats. They will pretend to be my parents who are dropping off their daughter at the AGI-campus. Everything has to look ordinary.

"You got everything, right?" Asks the man.

"Yes" I answer.

There was nothing ordinary in this situation for me. They should pretend to be my parents, but I don't even know their names.

The man starts the engine and we roll out of the parking lot. I looked out of the window as we passed all the trees. Our first destination is the airport which makes me even more nervous.

I've never been on a plane before.

I shake my head at this.

Focus on what's important right now.

And so, my mission begins.