JTSBDS

(Layla Hart pov.)

[December, boys dorm corridor:]

As I walk down the corridor, uncertain if this is the correct floor, straight to the boy's place.
I approach door with the number 11 on it.
Without warning, I get pulled in by Valerie before I even get the chance to knock.

"What-" is all I can say because she interrupts me:

"Did you get the note?"

"You mean this?"

I shows her the bright pink note, it says:
Meet in the boys dorm after lessons (p.s. I'm actually winking rn cause this is a secret).

The note was inside my notebook, I'm unsure how it got there, but I was even more curious to find out what this meeting is all about.
Even though the academy's rules state that I'm not allowed to be in the boys dorm building.
Neither is Valerie.

"Good."

"What's this about?" I ask worryingly when I notice Aiden, Amaya and Ben are in the room as well.

"We're planning Jian's birthday." Aiden reveals straightforward.

Jeez, so nothing bad then.

"Phew, I thought-"

"What?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Eh- nothing."

"Anyway, we're going to execute the plan: JTSBDS." Ben puts on a dramatic tone at the end.

"JTS- what?"

"Jians Totally Secret BirthDay Surprise, duh." Valerie explains.

As if that was obvious.

"We tried doing it last year, but..." Amaya starts.

"It didn't go well." Ben finishes.

"I can still feel the confetti in my mouth." Valerie whispers while it seems like she is remembering something traumatic.

"And we realized, once again, how bad Aiden is at planning anything." Amaya crosses her arms.

"It's because you kept on criticizing my work!" Aiden corrects.

"Because you can't put candles-!"

"Anyway, it didn't work last time and Jian didn't find out about it, luckily.
But today, it will all work out, I'll be the one organizing things because... well, the twins never agree on anything." Ben looks back at them as they argue. "And for this to go well, we'll need you help." He tells me.

"Sure, it really looks like you'll need it."

Then, we hear footsteps outside and everyone freezes on the spot.

"Is it him?" Valerie asks with a hushed voice.

Ben turns into his fox form and listens, then mumbles quietly:
"Yes, it's him! Hide! And act normal!"

We all start to panic and Amaya, Valerie and I decide to hide behind the door while Aiden and Ben still fumble around.
When Jian opens the door he sees Aiden on the floor, staring at the ceiling.
Ben, still a fox, sitting on the table, looking outside the window.
He looks at them for a moment with a confused and concerned expression, then asks:
"What are you two doing?" Ben answers accompanied with an uncertain chuckle:
"Ah, just- eh- you know- thinking about life."

"Right... and you?" He eyes Aiden who turns to him and stretches:

"Well, I'm- thinking about life as well."