What's the worst that can happen?

(Layla Hart pov.)

[December, activities room:]

"Why have you called us together?" I ask at last when we're sitting at the table in the activities room.

Soon we are expected to be back at our dorms, but Aiden wanted us to meet up here without anyone knowing and I'm really curious why.

As soon as he's got everyone's attention, he begins to explain:
"As you all know, we're celebrating New Years with the academy in a week, as always.
But I wanted to make this year special and came up with a plan-"

"Eh-ehm." Jian clears his throat.

"Right. WE have come up with a plan how to have the best celebration ever!"

Everyone applauds and Valerie shouts:
"Wohoo!"

"Now, now. For this to succeed, we need to slip out of the academy during the New Years feast." Aiden adds casually.

"What?!" Everyone except Aiden and Jian exclaim at once.

Jian carries on:
"You heard right. At first I was hesitant as well, but it actually could work."

"Exactly! And besides, this is Layla's first time celebrating with us, we have to do something big!" Aiden nods my way.

"I'm in!" Valerie jumps up from her seat.

"I'm in as well, there is no way I'm letting you do this on your own." Amaya smirks and fist-bumbs Aiden.

"Disaster twins!" They beam excitedly.

"What about you Ben?" Valerie looks at him.

"I don't know... I'm not sure." He rubs his head, uncertain.

"Ahh, come on! You know you wanna!" Valerie begs with puppy eyes.

"Alright, alright. I'm in!"

"Good! And now-" Before he can continue, I interrupt Aiden:

"No."

"What?" Everyone gives me a surprised look.

"No. Guys, don't you understand? It's too dangerous!
What if something happens? What if someone finds out?
We'll be in trouble!"

"We've been in trouble before." Jian remarks.

"Yes, but this could go really wrong." I return with a skeptical expression.

I don't like this idea. What if someone gets suspicious?

"Seriously Layla? We're all going!" Valerie spreads her hands towards the others.

"You can't deny that you want to." Ben shrugs.

I'm so not sure about this.
Yet I have to consider what they'll think of me if I don't go...

Then Aiden gives me a nudge with his elbow:
"It'll be fine, I promise. Even if we get caught, what's the worst that could happen? It's not like we're going to die or something."

With a shaking head, I stand up from the table, turning away:
"I'm not doing this."

I notice them looking at each other, disappointed, and Amaya steps towards me from behind.

I sigh:
"I know what you're going to say."

"Are you?"

"You're going to tell me that everything's going to be fine even though it's dangerous which is also the reason why it's fun."

"Can you blame me?" She says with a gentle smile.

I eye her:
"It's not that I'm afraid that things will go wrong- it's that you're all better at dealing with problems than I am."