An imortant lesson

(Layla Hart pov.)

[January, training hall:]

Our class' current subject is abilities mastery and all of us are sitting on the mat floor.
The new years feast was about three weeks ago, yet no one knows about what we did. During those weeks, we were anxious -mostly me- that they would find out.

Mr. Olser sits in front of his students while explaining:
"It's important to control your ability. There are different ways to achieve that.
For example staying healthy or meditation."

"The last thing I'm going to do is meditate." Amaya mumbles.

"It's actually very helpful, I actually tried it a few times.
But I've heard sports which require a lot of concentration are just as helpful." I whisper back to her.

"Huh, good to know..."

Mr. Olser continues:
"lt it's crucial that your emotions don't get in your way.
I'm not saying that you're supposed to keep your emotions bundled away in a dusty corner at all times, that's impossible.
Your emotions are connected with your ability, but instead of trying to control them, you lead them.
Imagine light coming into a window, you want to have a certain amount of light, you can't just close the window, that's why you use mirrors to determine where the light flows to."

During today's lecture, I noticed Aiden actually listening attentively.
Which is good, considering that the topic covers the exact weak point in his ability: Control.

[Few days later, girls dormroom:]

The 6 of us are in the our room, chatting.

"-and I said that it makes sense!" Ben finishes his story.

The others laugh and Valerie giggles while sitting at the edge of the bed, her feet dangling.
Not sure where Zain is, though I'm guessing she's with the other group right now.

Jian shakes his head with a smile:
"I'd never thought you would be the one to start school drama."

"It's because I didn't start it." Ben admits.

"But he's right- Ms. Fellis and Mr. Chardis are a good duo." Amaya reckons with a smile and crossed arms, sitting at the table.

I ponder:
"Why is gossiping about teachers always this entertaining?
Oh- by the way, did you notice the others in our class? They all looked kind of... sick?"

"You mean cool sick or sick sick?" Aiden sits up.

"I mean sick sick."

"Yeah, I noticed too! Elara said that it started a few weeks after New Years.
Perhaps the extension of the buffet wasn't such a good idea..." Valerie shrugs.

"Guess you're right. But is-"

I get interrupted by the speakers of the academy announcing:
"This is Headmistress Harris speaking. All student's must assemble at the activities field."

"Huh? What's that?" Aiden asks.

"I don't know..." Ben says and wants to go towards the door, but Amaya holds him off as she notices something outside the window:

"¿Qué es esto? Guys, something isn't right here."
(*What's this?*)

"What do you mean?" Jian wants to know.

"Val, remember that one episode of the Care-less Guardians we watched last week? The one with the mind control invasion?"

"Eh- yeah! Why?"

"This is similar." Amaya tenses as she stares outside.

"What?!" Valerie exclaims.

We all rush to the window.

"What is that?" I whisper when I see the horror taking place outside.