chapter 35

NORA'S FINGERS FIDDLED WITH THE HANDLE ON HER KNIFE THAT SAT ON HER HIP

A small group of them walked to the town, only a twenty minute walk from the church. Rick stayed right behind Gabriel, his gun at the ready in case the priest tried anything.

Sasha, Michonne, Bob, and Nora followed behind, keeping their eyes out for people, dead or alive.

The town was completely run down. Grass was growing through the cracks in the asphalt, and windows on brick buildings were boarded up. Random items littered the ground, like clothes and garden chairs.

It was like a huge panic went down before everyone died off.

"Hey." Bob walked next to Rick, "When you said they don't get to live, you weren't wrong." Rick glanced back at Nora, wondering where this conversation was going, "We push ourselves and let things go. Then we let some more go and some more. And pretty soon, there's things we can't get back. Things we couldn't hold on to even if we tried. Washington's gonna happen, Rick."

"I haven't decided if we're going." Rick stated,

'Yeah, I know, and that's cool." Bob responded, "But you've seen Abraham in action. He's gonna get there and Eugene's gonna cure all this and you're gonna find yourself in a place where it's like how it used to be. And if you've let too much go along the way, that's not gonna work. 'Cause you gonna be back in the real world."

"This is the real world, Bob." He told the man,

"Naw. This is a nightmare, and nightmares end."

Nora stared at the back of Bob's head, thinking about what he said. She had no hope that the end was near, that Washington was gonna solve their problems.

The world was over. This nightmare was going to be never-ending, it's just the way it is now. They were never going to go back to the way it was. She wasn't going to have her job back, her house, her car.

It was all gone.

And her mind, Bob was delusional. She knew he was trying to be positive, but it was coming across as crazy.

"I'm sorry. I'm calling it." Bob smiled, "Washington's gonna happen. You're gonna say yes. Already too much momentum. You can't fight city hall. Maybe that's just one of those parts of not letting go."

It only took another five minutes until they reached a white building, "We're here." Gabriel stated, "This was the food bank. It served the whole county. All the cans at my church were gonna end up here." He explained,

Nora stared at the sign 'Food Bank & Thrift Store'. In her mind, they could find more than just food there. Maybe stuff for Judith and Carl, too.

Rick went in first, followed by Michonne, Nora, and Bob, followed by Sasha. They all kept their weapons raised, prepared for anything.