Preparations

Nearly 2 weeks after the siege of Neomuna ended in a Galactic Federation victory and with remaining Shadow Covenant forces being pushed back to the portal, the Vanguard continued to draw plans for a potential invasion into Shadow Covenant territory.

At this point on, Shadow Covenant forces were forced to flee or resort to guerrilla warfare and those remaining in occupied territories were soon redeployed to other sectors.

Those that remained in command of the armies bickered for control and while they were still loyal to the Dark Master himself, some officers wanted to be the new second in command ever since Calus died.

Some warlords were even attempting to prove themselves in risky suicide missions that only made the rising situation worse over time. In some liberated areas of the galaxy, Shadow Covenant forces were still at large and some scattered fighting took place in heavily populated areas. In the City of Angelian on the Awokos colony of Awokos Prime, Shadow Covenant forces along with the Shadow Awokos Movement held a large portion of territory and heavy fighting often took place.

In the Capital of Hivus Secundus, Scorn militants along with Hive Defectors still bombarded the capital city and there was a large number of infiltrators who wanted to kill the queen and replace her with a puppet so that the Shadow Covenant could at least gain a buffer zone for potential invasion.

Small Shadow Covenant fleets still controlled parts of the galaxy but with heavy supply problems and the liberation of Neomuna, it was tough enough for them. Some planets were eventually free from Shadow Covenant control but those that didn't became holdouts.

As the civil war continued on, the Vanguard along with their Allies made plans for an invasion of the portal. They were going to head straight to the heart of the plague. Everyone knew that as long as Dark Master was still alive, his followers could still fight on and it would be a long way to ending the war and even if he managed to survive, he would regather his forces and launch another series of assaults.

And they also had to capture the leadership because even when Dark Master could be killed, there would be someone to take his place. He even once appointed a fierce warlord to take his place if he were to perish which was terrible news. So they had to act quickly.

Just one problem. While they had the resources needed to jump in the portal, they had to plan a strategy for what they might come across. Before preparations, the Vanguard sent scout drones to see what the Shadow Covenant were up to in their territory and when the drones got back, they saw Shadow Covenant forces amassing to prepare for their potential invasion.

Large fleets were being rerouted left and right, soldiers were being trained and equipped with new levels of guns and weapons, and the resources they mines were used to manufacture materials for their war machine.

On the planet's surface, the Shadow Covenant began to forcibly recruit locals into joining their cause by enlisting in the army mostly in cannon fodder groups or low level infantry or as members of militias and loyalists factions. In the capital city of the planet, the Shadow Covenant was preparing for defenses around the city. Fortifications and defense lines were being established all over and manned by a growing number of soldiers while Dark Master placed his flag ship on the city atmosphere as a new base of operations.

The war machine was producing millions of needed supplies and equipment for the Shadow Covenant since they gained control of the city's industrial center and most of the production capacity to the entire planet. From tanks to aircraft to ships to weapons, there was nothing they could not build. Local villagers and people living in the cities were forced to work in the factories while the rest including young were sent into military camps.

The local defense forces of the planet eventually swore loyalty to their new rulers making the situation even more desperate and what remained of the Shadow Covenant's presence in the galaxy was being rerouted to the planet which became the new capital of the Shadow Empire.

From that point of preparing for war to establishing a new capital, the Shadow Covenant was ready for war once more and now regained its strength, and everyone knew that if the invasion failed, The Shadow Covenant would win once more and all would now in the hands of a tyrant.