CHAPTER 25. Saved

I can't believe I even said yes to this party. This place feels so cramped and I can hardly breathe from all the cigarette smoke. What makes it worse, I don't even know half of these people.

No. Scratch that.

I think I only know five people from this private party, which I find really funny. How can they call this a private party when the place is completely packed?

Had I known that this is Jade's idea of a birthday party, I would have begged off. And where the hell did Stark go? He told me he's just getting us drinks. It's been ages and he's still not back. What's taking him so long?

I saw a balcony from the far-end side of the hall. That's my safest bet to get out of this party without the lung cancer takeaway. I need to ditch this chaos to get some fresh air because this is suffocating me already. But how do I get through this throng of strangers to get there? The dancefloor's brimming with people.

"Excuse me. Sorry. Coming through. Excuse me. Ooops. That's your foot. Sorry. Didn't mean that. Excuse me." I struggled through the crowd of people. I can see the door towards the balcony. You're almost there, Shine. Just a little bit more.

The music became louder. Oh no, the DJ suddenly played an upbeat song and people started jumping and swaying on the dance floor. A guy even accidentally pushed me hard and I got trapped in between more people. Perfect. I can't move now. Then another guy who's dancing like a peacock elbowed me and I got swayed to the other side helplessly like a little child.

*thud*

My face slammed on something sturdy. Who's that stupid guy who elbowed me? Wait. What is this? This felt like someone's chest. A man's chest. I was about to look up to check, but then...

*rips*

Is that the sound of my gown being ripped? Oh my! No! My gown!

Panic won me over. I'm palpitating now. No. God, no. Can people just stop dancing? All I wanted was to get to the other side safely to the balcony so I can breathe a little. Was that too much to ask? But now this just had to happen of course. I can feel a faint wind against the skin of my exposed behind. I looked down in fear and saw the horror that is my bum almost peaking out because of my torn gown. No. This. Is. Not. Happening. To. Me. Just no.

I was just dubbed by the social media as the best dressed new "it girl" in town at the SBSTN Ball, but I'm pretty damn sure this little stunt would trump that completely. Everyone will have a ball. The media will have a circus. And I can imagine their queen bee Jade dela Fuerte laughing at me mercilessly. Not to me. Please, God.

My face's still pressed against the man's chest. People refused to give me room to escape, which is probably a good thing because my ass would be screaming "hello everyone" the minute the dance floor clears out. I don't even know where the fabric of my gown went anymore. For sure it got kicked by all these people all the way to Timbuktu or Lala land.

"Your skirt ditched you." The sturdy chest spoke in a deep manly voice.

"You know where it went?" I asked him nonchalantly, trying to hide my panic. This would have sounded really funny if this situation didn't involve me but since I'm right in the middle of this catastrophe, I really wanted to cry so bad in embarrasment deep inside.

"Negative." He answered. "Where were you trying to go anyway?"

"Just the balcony, but now I need to go to the nearest exit, please." My voice cracked, giving me away. I was almost begging him. I can almost read the front page of tomorrow's papers and my legs felt wobbly just imagining what could be trending next on social media.

I felt quick movements from sturdy chest. I wonder what he's up to. But looks like he just took off his coat and wrapped it around my waist. My ass is safe, finally.

He then protectively guided me towards the exit. I was holding unto his left arm like my life depended on it. It felt like the longest three minutes of my life.

When we reached the door almost near the hotel's lobby, I finally caught glimpse of my savior's face. My heart stopped.

It's Oliver. My Oliver Smith. How can I be so stupid not to recognize his voice?

And just like that he was gone again through the crowds.