CHAPTER 28. Your happiness

After what felt like ages, we finally reached our house. Oliver unlocked the door for me so I can get out of his car, but my body felt so tensed, it refused to move.

I guess I need to come clean. The crazy truth has been hounding me for quite some time now anyway. I was just too dense to acknowledge it.

Yes, Oliver holds a special part of my heart but right now, I know in my heart that Stark owns a huge chunk of it and more. I'm letting Oliver go. It's the fair thing to do.

"I'm sorry." I said, almost in a whisper, casting my eyes down. I feel like a criminal doing this to Oliver.

Oliver sighed helplessly when he heard me. "I'm sorry too."

"What? Why are you saying sorry?" I asked him, a little confused. This isn't the reaction I was expecting from him.

"I'm sorry I took you for granted, Shine. I'm sorry that I didn't make you feel special and secure enough. I'm sorry I couldn't compete with someone like Stark." He replied, looking into the distance.

I was stunned by what he just said. "Oliver..." I started saying, but he cut me off by holding my hand. He was still not looking at me and continued to talk from the heart.

"I know in my heart you deserve someone like him. And I'm obviously nothing compared to him. Damn those filthy rich pretty boys. I hate them all. I hate every single one of them." He said sounding a little sarcastic with that last line. He even punched the steering wheel in frustration.

"I hate their guts. They have it so easy in life. One snap of a finger and everything is possible for them. It's fucking unfair."

"But I hate Stark the most not because of his money, his power, or his fame, but because he has you. He has your heart, Shine. I know that. And I can't have you if I know your heart is with someone else."

He stared outside the window, as if he's thinking carefully about what to say next.

My heart is breaking for Oliver. We had beautiful plans. We promised each other a lot of things. The places we're gonna go to. The home we're gonna built. The children we're gonna have. We seriously thought we had a future together. That we're perfect together.

But now I can almost read the last page of our story. And it makes me feel so sad that it isn't as beautiful as its beginning. Is it wrong to like him and like someone else just as much?

I stayed silent feeling guilty and Oliver continued. "I just refused to admit the truth to myself then, but when I saw you again for the first time here, I saw it. I saw it in your eyes that you're no longer mine. I'm gonna miss you so bad, Shine." He said with pain and regret.

"I will miss you too, Oliver. I wish there's something I can say to make you feel better but you know very well how much I suck at things like this. You'll find someone. Someone better than me. And I know how weird this will all sound right now, but I still love you. I will always love you, my rockstar. My Oliver." I confessed crying a little.

"Shhh... Don't cry in front of me like that, love. I won't be able to bear it. Don't worry about me. I'll get through this. I'll move on. Maybe not soon, but I definitely will. I just want you to be happy. Always Shine, always."

"I owe you a lot. You've done so much for me and the band, Shine, and I know we don't give you enough credit. You were there for us since the beginning. All of this won't be possible if it weren't for you. And not letting you go right now would make me look like an ungrateful bastard. You deserve to be happy."

"I love you. I love you so much enough to let you go and love someone else, Shine." Oliver said in all sincerity. His voice cracking a bit like he's about to cry too.

Oliver and I hugged one last time and I got out of his car. I remained standing outside our gate for a while. I watched his car speed off until I could no longer see it.

I really hate myself right now. I suck at goodbyes.