♡ 11 | The First Task

You run as fast as you can towards the stands. You don't know which champion will be going on first, but your odds are 1 to 4 of the champions you must support: Harry, Fleur and Cedric. The winds whip around you mercilessly as you struggle to make your way towards the stands. Each step feels like a battle against the elements, with blades of grass pelting you like tiny arrows. Desperation drives you forward, your heart pounding in your chest as you fight against the raging wind.

Just as you feel yourself on the verge of being swept away, a sudden calm envelops you, accompanied by the comforting warmth of a cloak wrapping around your shoulders. Startled, you look up to see Draco Malfoy standing beside you, his hands resting gently on your shoulders as he adjusts the cloak around you.

"What are you doing?" you snap, your tone sharp with anger, eyes flashing with irritation.

"Saving you from catching a cold," Draco responds curtly, his voice tinged with remorse. "Sorry-I-I didn't mean to sound rude..."

"Sure you didn't," you retort, ripping the cloak off and thrusting it back at him. "Take it. I wouldn't want to soil your precious cloak with my 'mudblood squib filth.' And what do you care if I catch a cold or jump off a cliff?"

Draco's demeanor softens, regret evident in his stormy gray eyes. "I know you're angry with me," his voice barely above a whisper. "And you have every right to be. But I couldn't just stand by and watch you suffer out here in the cold. How much of a hurry were you in this morning that you couldn't bring along a muffler at the very least?"

You scoff, crossing your arms defensively. "None of your bloody business, Draco Malfoy. And why should I believe you?" you challenge, bitterness seeping into your words.

Draco's shoulders slump, a pained expression crossing his features. "I... I know I've made mistakes," he confesses, his voice heavy with regret. "But that doesn't mean I don't care about you."

His words catch you off guard, stirring conflicting emotions within you. 

"You have a strange way of showing it," you mutter angrily, unable to meet his gaze.

Draco sighs, frustration evident in his demeanor. "I know I've messed up," he concedes. "But I'm trying to make things right."

"Really?" you scoff, rolling your eyes. "And how do you plan on doing that? Just leave me alone, Malfoy. I don't have any more expectations from you."

As you turn to walk away, Draco's broken voice stops you in your tracks.

"I told her to back off."

You pause, glancing back at him in surprise.

"What?" you inquire, puzzled by his sudden confession.

"I told Parkinson to never come near me again," Draco explains. "I've scheduled a meeting with the editor of Witch Weekly to retract that article. I'll even make Parkinson issue a public statement clearing your, Potter's, Granger's, Krum's, and your... boyfriend's names." He holds up the cloak once more, shivering slightly. "Please, let me help you."

Torn between your anger and the vulnerability in Draco's eyes, you hesitate before finally nodding in reluctant acceptance.

"Fine," you concede, acknowledging his gesture of kindness. "But don't think this changes anything between us."

"Understood," Draco nods, a small smile playing at his lips as he wraps his cloak around you again. You feel your cheeks heat as he momentarily rests his hands on your shoulders, looking down at you affectionately. Dare you say...Lovingly?

"Right," he coughs, breaking eye contact "Now, let's get you out of this cold."

"And for the record..." you mumble, covering your face with the cloak to hide your blush and inhale the lavender scent that lingers on the fabric from being in contact with Draco's skin while he can't help but grin to himself at how adorable you look "...Cedric, he's not my boyfriend."