♡ 16 | I Love You

Dinner proves to be a mixture of amazement and dismay. Percy Weasley and Karkaroff are dreadfully dull and irksome, respectively. The food, on the other hand, is a culinary delight. Absolutely scrumptious. Hermione is engrossed in teaching Krum the correct pronunciation of her name, while Fleur is still a bit miffed with you, especially since you're seated next to Cedric. The fact that you and Cedric engage in lively conversation throughout the evening, sharing childhood stories and anecdotes from Beauxbatons and Hogwarts, makes the night memorable. You can't recall the last time you laughed so genuinely and thoroughly with someone. In passing, Cedric mentions that he has deciphered the hidden message from his Golden egg, and you offer your congratulations. However, neither of you delves further into the matter. It's an unspoken agreement, a decision to keep the Triwizard Tournament separate from your friendship to avoid situations like the one with the dragons, where you had to choose between school and friendship.

As the plates are cleared and the dessert is served, Dumbledore rises from his seat and requests the students to do the same. With a wave of his wand, all the tables zoom back along the walls, leaving the floor clear. Dumbledore conjures a raised platform along the right wall, adorned with a variety of musical instruments—drums, guitars, a lute, a cello, and some bagpipes. The Weird Sisters, a band with extremely hairy members dressed in artfully ripped and torn black robes, take the stage to thunderous applause.

"I now invite our beloved champions and their dates to dance the first waltz!" Dumbledore announces cheerfully, extending a hand to Professor McGonagall invitingly.

Cedric looks at you, a twinkle in his eyes, and offers his hand, bowing elegantly. "M'lady, may I have this dance?" he asks in a playfully snooty voice, a warm smile playing on his lips. You giggle to yourself, placing your hand in his warm one. It feels like winter and summer intertwining as your fingers lace together. "Yes, you may," you reply with a smile.

You and Cedric glide onto the dance floor, the soft strains of the waltz filling the air as you move together in perfect harmony. You notice how the four champions have formed a diamond shape to dance, as if practiced, as all eyes are on you eight. The eight of you are the bright light of the ball, around whom dance other pairs like Hagrid the giant and Madam Maxime, Neville Longbottum and Ginny Weasley, Dumbledore and Professor Mcgonicall,  Ron and Lavender Brown, Padma Patil and Seamus Finnigan, Parvati Patil and Dean Thomas, Fred Weasley and Angelina Johnson, George Weasley and Katie Bell, Pansy Parkinson and Blaise Zabini, several Beauxbatons, Hogwarts and Durmstrang students and...Draco Malfoy and Daphne Greengrass. Your eyes meet across the dance floor, but you just smile politely and turn your attention to the bright eyed, dark haired, Hogwarts champion in front of you; Hermione smiling proudly as she notices this.

Cedric smiles, his hand rests gently on your waist, guiding you with effortless grace as you follow his lead. The world around you seems to fade away, leaving only the two of you as you spin and twirl across the floor.

As you dance, Cedric's eyes never leave yours, filled with warmth and affection. You can't help but feel a flutter in your chest at the intensity of his gaze, a sensation that sends a rush of excitement coursing through your veins.

Lost in the music and the moment, you find yourself smiling as Cedric whispers something in your ear, lost in the echoing of the music in the hall, his breath warm against your skin. The sound of his voice sends shivers down your spine, and you can't help but lean in closer, savoring the closeness between you, pressing your forehead to his.

The dance seems to stretch on forever and yet, at the same time, it feels like it's over too soon. As the final notes of the waltz fade away, you and Cedric come to a stop, breathless and exhilarated from the experience, foreheads touching, a fast paced rock song replacing the ballroom one.