25| The historic judgment

A/N: Sunday Surprise for my sweet readers!💗

The sun rose in the dark sky illuminating the dry land beneath.

Preparations were made for the open field judgement because it was an issue that was to be looked upon in the King's absence.

Shakti was dressed in a plain black and maroon ghagra with no accessories at all.

Her hair was shaved off until her neck length.

Shefali's prolonged protests this morning were not heard by the village women who were shaving off the young girl's long hair.

All the villagers had started accumulating in huge crowds around the vast field.

Shortly afterwards the crowd met the horses of the royal family and the princes jumped down respectively.

"You've arrived finally!"

Rajveer walked towards the two princes.

He had been keeping everything in check from the early morning. He wanted everything to go smoothly in the King's absence. It was as if a duty he took upon himself.

"Not quite late, I hope"

Devansh smiled hugging the effortful man.

Eshant although stayed quiet and deep into his thoughts.

Eshant Raj knew he could not let himself down this time.

For Eshant in particular, judgement days were never interesting enough to keep him engaged.

He has seen his father make judgements. He has seen death and joy at the same time but it never occurred to him that judgements can be biased at times too.

He still vividly remembers the day when Jiya was burned alive as a punishment. That was certainly not the first time a supposed 'witch' was made to kill but it was the first time he ever considered the idea that probably his ever-perfect father-king might have been wrong in his judgement.

Every time he remembers Shefali's face after Rana's verdict he feels goosebumps.

He remembers how he had not slept that night for even a blink. That was the first time he argued within himself that a decision so horrific was taken in front of him and he stood there not protesting.

Eshant now knew things that had been happening for ages were not necessarily the right ones. 'He is wise, who holds the passion to change it' and he is not quite sure if he has enough of it this time around.

"Eshant?"

Rajveer's voice finally brought him back to reality.

"Yes?"

He asked cluelessly.

"I have been calling you for so long man. What were you thinking so absent-mindedly?"

Rajveer asked with a concerned frown.

Eshant looked around to not find Devansh near them anymore.

"Nothing much. Tell me... what were you calling me for?"

Eshant asked with a silly grin.

"I was saying it was already late, should we start the discussion? Everyone's already here"

Rajveer asked, relieved.

"Yes, sure. Let's go"

The two friends gathered around the throne that was made to sit in the centre of the field at a comparatively greater height.