Training your dragon

"It was gigantic, it might be the biggest dragon I've ever seen." Hiccup describes what he discovered to Mala who's also concerned about this dragon.

"You don't plan on fighting this beast alone, do you?" Mala asks him.

"I don't really have any other ideas on how to fight it." Hiccup tells her.

"I'll help." Heather offers and they turn to face her as she enters.

"Heather, I'm thankful you want to help, but you're not trained enough for something like this." Hiccup tells her.

"Then get me ready. You can train me to train a dragon, right?" Heather says to Hiccup.

"You sure you want to do this?" Hiccup asks.

"Yes." Heather answers.

Hiccup thinks for a moment and might know the perfect Dragon for her.

Hiccup leads her through the forest where most of the dragons hang out.

"So, who are we where to see?" Heather asks.

"A friend." Hiccup says and sends a dragon call out.

A Razorwhip comes flying by and lands in front of Hiccup who looks to Hiccup and Heather.

"Hiccup, what can I do for you, my friend?" The Razorwhip asks.

"Windshear, I want to know how you feel about having a Rider." Hiccup asks her.

"Do you trust her?" Windshear asks.

"Yes." Hiccup promises and turns to Heather who's seriously confused to what she witnessed as she could only make out what Hiccup was saying. "Heather, this is Windshear, your dragon." Hiccup introduced her.

"H...hi there." Heather greeted the dragon, not sure what to do.

He took Heather's hand and slowly walked towards the Razorwhip.

"Wait, what are you doing?" Asked Heather, scared.

"Just trust me. This is how Toothless and I became brothers." Hiccup said and the two stopped right in front of the dragon. "Extend your hand and close your eyes. Stay calm."

Heather wasn't sure if this could work, but still followed Hiccup's instructions. She slowly extended her hand and closed her eyes. A few seconds later, she felt something touching her opened palm. She opened her eyes, and gasped to see the Razorwhip had pressed her snout against her palm.

"Congratulations, the two of you have bonded," Hiccup said happily.

Heather couldn't believe it.

She just bonded with a dragon! She looked at the Razorwhip, who was calm and didn't appear aggressive and ferocious at all. She smiled and petted her dragon.

"You're not that scary," Heather said, softly to the dragon while scratching her nose.

The rest of the day was spent training Heather how to hold onto her dragon, how to ride and all of that.

After a few days, Hiccup believed she was ready enough to help him.

Mala ordered the men to get ready to head out in the morning to help Hiccup in case anything happens.

And Mala prayed nothing was going to happen.

Hiccup stood on the edge and looked out to the ocean when Heather joined him.

Heather was having second thoughts about this...she's trying to save her parents, but she can't keep lying to Hiccup. He's trusting her with his life, she needs to be honest with him. He needs to know she can't be trusted with his life.

"Hiccup?"

"Hm?"

"I don't think I should be with you out there." Heather tells him.

"What do you mean?" Hiccup asks. "Are you okay?"

"It's nothing like that...it's...I don't think you should be trusting me." Heather finally tells him.

Hiccup turns to face her, confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Hiccup...I'm sorry. I've been keeping the truth from you. There were no pirates. The Outcasts were the ones to capture my family. They're holding my parents prisoner until I give them something that will help them take over every island. The only thing I could offer them was you." Heather says and was trying not to cry.

"Me? Why me?" Hiccup asks.

"Can you imagine the Outcasts storming ashore any island they chose, with you and Toothless flying overhead, flaming everything and everyone in sight? You could have made Alvin's dreams of conquest come true! He would have rewarded you for that. Money, power, honor, whatever you wanted..."

She turned back and forced herself to look him in the eyes. "I was ready to deceive you, to sell you, to use you, to do whatever it took to get my parents back! But...you're just too good! You're too honest, you're too trusting. No one ever trusted me like that before." A stray tear rolled down her cheek. "I just can't do it! Doing that to you would be too high a price to pay, even for my family..I can't do it to you."

She turned away again in utter despair. "So now you know what a liar I am. You'll probably never talk to me or trust me again, and I wouldn't blame you. I've failed, thanks to what little conscience I have left. Go find your destiny, wherever it is, and I hope it's a good one. I'll try to think of something else, before I run out of time."

She heard him stir. After a few seconds, he laid his hand on her shoulder.

"The first thing we'll have to do is get the queen out in the open." Hiccup tells her the plan.

"We?" That stunned her into silence for several seconds. At last she found her voice again. "You make it sound like I'm part of your plan."

"I need you to help me, Heather. You're smart, you're brave, you think fast...I can't do this alone." Hiccup replies.

"I also lie, manipulate, and deceive!" Heather exclaimed, turning to face him again. "How can you possibly trust me? How could you want to?"

"I'm just that kind of a guy, I guess," Hiccup shrugged. "I get this feeling you're done playing games, and I'm about to meet the real Heather. I think I'll like her. I hope she sticks around for a while so I can get to know her. And once we finish with the Queen, I promise you we will rescue you're parents.

Heather revised her opinion about how simple honesty never worked. His simple honesty was working great on her! Her strong façade crumbled; she flung her arms around him, unable to hold the tears back.

"After everything I meant to do to you, how could you...?" she sobbed.

"If you knew how many times I've messed things up, you wouldn't feel so bad," Hiccup said, remembering a few times he may or may not have accidentally started a few fires with his powers while trying to control them. He held her, somewhat awkwardly, until she got herself back under control. "We should get some rest, it's a long flight tomorrow."