Five

"And...there."

Sarah turned me in the mirror. I glanced at myself.

I was in one of her dresses. She had done my hair and used makeup from over seas on me. Her old crown sat on my head.

She was right. I was unrecognizable.

"Oh my goodness.."

Steve glanced at me in the mirror. His eyes sparkled a bit.

"Yeah. That's the type of woman father will be looking for."

I turned to the both of them. "I feel like I'm playing dress up."

Sarah smiled, taking the crown off and putting it back up. "Well, you sort of are. For now, until you are crowned princess."

I looked over at Steve. His head rested on his hand. His pinky went over his lips as he sat.

"You have to teach me mannerisms though. I do not know-"

"-yes you do El. You are more polite than other royals I've met." Steve said. I hummed.

"I don't know I mean..god." I said. I stood up straighter. This corset business really did something. And my goddamn breasts looked huge. No wonder women wore these.

Steve just continued to stare. Sarah smirked.

"Well my dear. I think you know. Besides, Everett will know you're a maid. Also, I've gotten a messenger in contact with him. He is willing."

"Oh umm...alright then. So this is really happening."

Steve looked at his mother. "When does she leave?"

"In a week. We will fake kicking her out. You have to be mean Steven."

I glanced at Sarah. "What's the conflict?"

"We shall make something up. But you need to get out of these soon. Joseph will be home in the next hour."

I went to change, taking my makeup off with a cloth and putting my hair back up into its usual braided bun.

Steve was already out. Sarah gave me a little smile.

"This'll work."

"I'm hoping so." I said. "Here. Your dress."

"Keep it. You'll need it. I don't fit into it anymore. Age has gotten to me."

"Oh gosh. Thank you."

"Of course. Off you go."

"Goodnight."

"Good night." She said.

~~~

I heard knocking on my corridor. It was the middle of the night.

I sat up, turning the oil lamp on. I heard knocking again.

"Who is it?" I asked quietly.

The doer opened. Steve walked in. I sat up more.

"You cannot be here." I whispered. He shut the door, getting into my tiny bed with me.

"Yes I can." He said. He was such a demanding man.

"Steve.."

"You do remember that I ran around this castle since I was able to walk right? I've seen these rooms before. I played pretend in this very room at six years old."

"Little Steve running around? Gosh."

He chuckled, pulling me in. His front rested against my back.

"Why are you here my lord?"

"Because you're leaving in mere days."

"Well I'm hoping I see you again."

"It'll take a few weeks." He said.

"Right." I whispered. "I love you dearly. But you have to go." I said. I turned to look at him. He sighed, resting back.

"Let's go exploring."

"I have not been getting enough sleep this week."

He nodded. "Then just sleep."

I rested my head on his shoulder, getting comfortable. He ran his fingers through my hair. It was rarely ever down.

"You know, today you looked absolutely breathtaking. Not that you are not marvelous before but...Elenor you are a different kind of being."

I hummed.

"You're too sweet."

He moved to put a piece of hair behind my ear. "I cannot believe that you would move kingdoms to stay with me."

"You do not realize how much I love you."

"I believe I am starting to realize."

Steve kissed me softly. I set my hand on his cheek. I loved his soft lips on mine. The way that he warmed me up.

He pulled away, smiling. "Alright. We are going to get some rest."

"Right."

I laid back on his chest. "Good night my lord."

"Goodnight my love."