Twenty-seven

It had been quiet the last few days. I did not go out much. I mostly just sat in our room with Laura.

Steve came into our room. I was sitting on the balcony with my daughter. He came over, kissing me.

"How are you?" He asked on my lips before kissing me again. I smiled as he set his hand on my cheek. After a moment he pulled away.

"Sorry. I needed that."

I smiled at him. "I'm feeling the same as every other day." I said. He sat down next to me. I positioned Laura to sit up against me. Steve took her little hand with his finger.

"Has she been eating fine again?"

I nodded. "I'm back to normal."

Steve nodded. "At least come to dinner tonight. I need to see you out."

"I don't want to go. Everyone knows that I was a maid. I'm sure it's spread to the kingdom. I should've just lived in the woods as we proposed. None of this would've ever happened."

"Hey. I'm legally married to you now. You are the princess of Brooklyn. No matter what, you are now a royal." 

He gave me a little kiss. I knew he wanted to help me in any way possible. And I knew he just wanted quality time with the baby away.

"Do you wanna go riding for a bit? Just the two of us?"

"Really?"

I nodded. "You think Natasha and Bucky would watch her?" I asked, referring to Laura.

"Yes." He whispered. "Come on."

We got up. I quietly went to Natasha's room. I did not want anyone to draw attention.

I knocked on it, hearing a little 'come in'.

"Hi." I said. She smiled as she saw me.

"I didn't think you would ever come out."

"Yeah. I umm...can you take Laura for a bit. I need some fresh air. I might go out riding.." I said. I felt a wave of sadness as I said that. I regretted leaving the room. I should've just stayed in there.

"Of course. Here." She said. She took Laura, glancing at me.

"Oh darling. Go. You need some time. Bucky and I are great with the baby."

I nodded. "Sorry. I-"

"You have nothing to be sorry about. Emotions are high."

I nodded. "Alright. Ill see you later."

She nodded. Steve led me out.

"Hey...it's alright. She's fine in there I promise you. I trust Bucky and Natasha with my life."

"I apologize. It's nothing.."

"We will stay in the room and sleep for all I care. You just need a break."

"Let's just go outside."

He moved to hold my hand. We went out to the fields together. He ended up laying back in the grass, pulling me down with him. I held his waist, setting my head on his shoulder. He kissed my head.

I closed my eyes, feeling the breeze. Steve rubbed my back. I felt at peace.

I moved my hand to his chest, feeling his heartbeat. He took a deep breath.

"Steve?"

"Yes darling."

I sat up, looking at him. "What's gonna happen to your father?"