Thirty

Nine months later.

Nine months since everything had happened.

Laura had turned one. Steve and I were working on so much. We had not yet been crowned king and queen, but the time was happening soon.

Sarah had been tired. She was not amused to being queen anymore. She had been so strong.

But within the next week, Steve and I would be king and queen.

I sat with Natasha in the lounge, watching Laura walk and crawl around. She had already said a few words.

Laura waddled over to me as I finished some readings. I smiled, pulling her onto my lap.

"She's so smart." Natasha said.

"Oh I know. She's gotten quite good."

"Where's Steve at?"

"Training. He's been stressed so I let him have that time. Seems to keep his cool if he gets some work in."

"Good. You and him alright?"

"Yes. I suppose. We don't see each other as often as we used to but that's alright. We are both busy."

"Well if you'd like to go spend time with him I can watch Laura."

"Oh no. We're fine."

"Not intercourse. Just go take a break."

"Mm. I-"

She took Laura. "Go."

I smiled. "Thank you."

I ran through the halls, going to find Steve. But to my surprise, he was not in the main room training, nor was he outside.

I went to my room, looking around. I heard soft hums from the washroom. I peeked inside, seeing Steve sitting in the tub.

"Is this training to you?" I asked. He glanced over, chuckling.

"I wish. I Uhh...I cut myself, so I'm just trying to clear the blood." He said. He showed me a cut over his arm.

"Good god how does that happen?"

"I don't know."

I came over, draining the tub. He winced. "I am nude."

"No. Are you sure?"

He cracked a smile. "You're awful."

"Sorry." I whispered. I kissed his head. I grabbed a cloth, wiping off the extra blood. He awkwardly covered himself as I wrapped his gash.

I could fuck him right now if it weren't for stupid layers on outfits.  I had lied to Natasha. We had not seen each other at all.

Ours lives were actually the farthest they had ever been. And this was awkward. I had not spoken to him in ages.

"I've missed you lately." I mumbled.

"I've missed you too. I feel like every time you're busy I'm not and when I'm busy you're not."

I nodded. "It's been odd."

He sighed, pulling me into a kiss. His hand rested on my cheek. As he pulled me in more, I lost balance, falling into him.

"Sorry-"

He chuckled. "I think you need to take these clothes off. You're all wet."

"There's guards right outside," I whispered.

"Why?" He asked.

"I thought you set it up. They've been following me."

"Right. Uhh-"

I just laid back in the tub with him. I didn't care if he was nude. I just laid my head on his shoulder, tracing his abdomen. My skirts covered him anyways.

"El. Darling."

"Hmm."

"I can't just sit here. I'll end up turning myself blue."

I glanced down. He was hard. I chuckled.

"Sorry."

"Let me get out. How much time do you currently have?" He asked.

"Natasha has the baby."

"Let me get changed, and then we will go for a walk."

~~~

Steve walked with me out in the gardens. I held his arm as we did. It was quiet between us. It sort of had been since his father died.

"So how are you feeling with being crowned king soon?"

"I'm not sure how I feel."

So that ended the conversation. I couldn't get through to him for the life of me.

"Steve..wait." I said. I stopped, holding him with me. "Are you alright?"

"Of course."

He was lying through his teeth. I knew when he lied. He was always timid. His cheeks turned a flush red.

"My lord-"

"I'm fine darling."

"What are you hiding?" I asked quietly. He gave me a stern look.

"I'm not hiding anything. I told you how I felt. Let it go."

He just looked guilty.

"What did you do?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"Do you have a mistress or something?"

"Good god. I made a promise to you! I'm stressed. That is it."

I just stared at him for a second. He looked at me with guilty eyes.

"You would really think I would have a mistress?"

"I mean I was yours before.."

"No you were not. You were only mine." He said. "What's wrong? Are you...are you pregnant again? You seem so off."

"No I'm not pregnant."

"Then what is the matter? Why are you all of a sudden so concerned?"

"You don't even see me anymore...."

He moved to hold my hands. "Love.."

"Come on Steven. You and I both know what something is wrong..."

He sighed. "I don't want to be king. I cannot do it."

I stared into his eyes. "Oh."

"I'm just really scared."

"Prince Steven. The queen has requested for you." A guard said. He froze. He looked as though he saw a ghost.

"Go. I'll see you later.."

"I cannot. It's planning...I cannot go."

I turned to the guard. "He will be there shortly."

"No. No I can't."

"It's your mother. We will go together."

"No. I need a break."

"Steve."

"I'll be back soon. I just need a break."