Twenty-one

"Elena! Where the fuck is my wife!? El!"

I stood up from the lounge room. Steve came in.

"Come here." He demanded.

"Steve..."

"You, get out! I want privacy right now!"

"Steve-"

They left. He came over.

"Matthew. You were right...he is here. What else did you hear about him?!"

"Steve..please.."

I touched my stomach. I was six months pregnant. I did not want any complications. I had truly never seen Steve so angered.

"Elenor."

"You need to calm yourself. I told you everything that I heard."

Steve and I had talked more about Matthew. I told him everything I knew. He told me everything as well.

"He has a wife and kids! What the hell is going on? I don't."

"Relax. Please."

He sighed, slumping against the couch. He stared up at the ceiling.

"I cannot go out there. He was..he was dead."

"Steven? Honey?"

Sarah came in. She was crying.

"Sarah. What in the hell?"

She started crying more. "I watched him die! Your father told me he had died in that bed and that I needed to leave! We had a funeral.."

I glanced at Steve.

"I-"

"Mother." He said as he stood up. He hugged her. She cried harder.

"He was dead.."

"I thought so too."

"Do not run away Sarah!" I heard. Joseph came in. Steve looked at his dad.

"You lied to us for years."

"I told your mother that he was alive. You are an awful brother for just leaving and not even saying hello."

"He was dead!" Sarah yelled. "You dragged me out of his room. He was dead!"

"I did it so that he wouldn't have to deal with this horse shit kingdom."

"You aren't helping. But we have guests. And if he has a wife and children then we make them feel at home." Steve said. "Father, please..be nice. I'm begging you. I'll get Matt and his family settled in."

Steve handed Sarah over. Joseph held her. His eyes softened. I watched him kiss her head. Steve took me out.

We walked to the great hall together. "Just be quiet. It's fine." I said to him.

"Yeah." He said. He moved my hand to his arm. I gave it a little squeeze.

We made it over. There stood Matthew. He looked like Steve. Just a bit shorter. More stern. Darker hair.

"Steve."

"Matthew. Meet my wife, Elena."

"Hello." I said.

"Hello princess." He said and bowed. "This is my wife Penelope and my son Walter."

"Hello. How old is he?"

"Four."

"Wonderful. I apologize for the inconvenience earlier. I believe there are just some emotions lying with the fact that you've returned."